Video Systems Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Apple creates professional, commercial-quality videos for marketing its products globally. The Marcom Video team manages studio operations and technology at Apple. This includes highly specialized, video-specific systems to support production, post-production and distribution of content. The primary focus of the Video Systems Engineer will be the administration of systems needed to facilitate production, as well as architecting and implementing new infrastructure to meet future needs. You will understand the unique converged worlds of professional video and enterprise IT technology. The ideal candidate will have extensive real-world experience in administering large-scale video infrastructures and systems and be at the forefront of technology among the top Studios. You will be responsible for administering complex, high-performance mission critical systems in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment. This requires exceptional and highly specialized technical skills, the ability to manage change in a positive manner, a can-do attitude, and an incomparable work ethic. The Video Systems Engineer is responsible for the operation and maintenance of key video and visual effects systems, pipeline workflow, render farm operation and management, as well as assisting the creative end user. Also a large focus of this position is being able to think outside the box to enable the Marcom Video team to work in new innovative ways.
- This specialized role supports systems used to craft the group’s content. As such, you must have extensive experience managing critical server, storage, and switching hardware including Linux, OS X, Xsan, Stornext and enterprise-class Ethernet and Brocade Fibre Channel hardware.
- A strong background in video post-production and thorough understanding of the associated technologies is required.
- Knowledge of Post-Production workflows and associated programs is also very important. You will have several years experience working in the post-production space as well as the technical engineering world.
- You should be able to analyze and troubleshoot highly complex, specialized interconnected systems quickly and effectively.
- You must be able to assess an issue, organize a plan of action, and implement a solution in a real-time production environment where up-time is critical. You must also manage and plan preventative maintenance and pro-actively perform system diagnostics.
- The team is part of a highly collaborative creative organization. You must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse set of clients that have a widely varying level of technical understanding.
Coordination, planning, administration and management of high-performance video-specific infrastructure systems in an enterprise datacenter. Budget and promote new technology for video, storage and workstations. Experience in maintaining Autodesk Flame and Baselight environments. Analysis of end user requirements for the purpose of recommending and implementing new software and hardware solutions. Assessing the advantages, risks, and time requirements of implementing those new solutions. Develop and install monitoring servers for system machines, storage, and networking. Creating and maintaining clear and concise documentation and schedules. Ongoing interaction with end-users and desktop support personnel to ensure the best possible integration. Manage relationships with outside vendors providing technical support and services. Responsible for implementing best technical practices. Experience encoding and distributing digital video assets and associated metadata. Creating and maintaining clear and concise documentation and schedules. Work with Apple LAN and Datacenter teams for maintenance, future infrastructure planning, and datacenter planning. Excellent oral and written communication skills defined as the capability to converse fluently, communicate effectively, and write intelligibly in the English language, the ability to develop ideas in a logical, analytical sequence, to express thoughts clearly, and to write elegantly, clearly, and concisely. Certifications in Redhat, Cisco CCNA, Brocade FC, and Quantum a plus.
Education & Experience
A BA/BS degree.