Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) - Packaging
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. In this highly visible role, you will manage R&D, selection, and implementation of Manufacturing Processes for consumer packaging parts and assemblies of our legendary products.
- Develop innovative solutions that enable Apple’s long term Environmental and Product goals, including but not limited to fibre based materials, lowering Apple’s environmental impact, and closed-loop manufacturing life cycle.
- Responsibilities include developing new manufacturing processes to enable current and future product designs, conducting DOEs to validate process capability, and qualifying processes for mass production. Full ownership providing end to end solutions including all aspects of equipment, labour, consumables, key parameters, setup, qualification, and mode of operation.
- A heavy emphasis will be on working with suppliers to define and refine mechanical tooling and fixtures, creating high quality data sets to drive decision making, and establishing process capability and readiness for mass production.
- Interact with Industrial Design, Product Design, and Vendors to enable the most innovative packaging designs on the market. Coordination of activities between US-based teams and world wide teams/suppliers is a necessity.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, fluent in English. • Possess a tenacity and curiosity to solve seemingly impossible problems. • Experience in fixture design, equipment design, or manufacturing/process optimization a plus • Expertise in development or quality control of highly cosmetic components highly regarded. • Demonstrated ability to use and implement statistical and data analysis tools to cull sense from chaos, to make data driven decisions where no one else saw the trend. • Ability and willingness to work independently and travel frequently (domestic + international). • Proven leader, demonstrable on previous projects defining and closing all engineering tasks to meet objectives, detailed oriented to cut to the root of problems, and ability to learn quickly with little information or support.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree or above in Mechanical / Industrial / Packaging Engineering and/or equivalent work experience.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.