ISE, SIML - Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Do you think Computer Vision and Machine Learning can change the world? Do you think it can transform the way millions of people capture, discover and share the most special moments of their lives? We truly believe it can! The System Intelligence and Machine Learning (SIML) group is responsible for crafting machine learning solutions to extract high level structure information from images, videos and text shipping on all Apple platforms (macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS). Examples include face recognition, scene classification, OCR, handwriting recognition as well as the support for internal tools. The group combines research and development in a dynamic and engaging environment. Particularly, our SIML data team is responsible for crafting and building high quality datasets at scale. At the heart of machine learning, data defines how Apple features and products operate and what is the final user experience that will reach millions of our customers. This is an exciting time to join us: grow fast, and have an impact on multiple key features on your first day at Apple!
- You have an agile/iterative approach to R&D challenges, and you’re able to decompose a problem into unit tasks
- You're aware of the challenges associated to building datasets for ML R&D (eg coverage, bias)
- You have very strong Python coding skills
- You're comfortable building and implementing inference pipelines that process large quantities of data (Hadoop, distributed GPU computation), using existing models and/or creating new ones solutions when facing situations of trade-offs/decision under uncertainty
- You have strong written and verbal communications skills
Our team works in close interaction with R&D, infrastructure and client teams, as well as with other groups and other functions across Apple (legal, privacy) and externally. This position focuses on designing and implementing smart data pipelines based on advanced computer vision technology and humans in the loop. You will characterize data that provides most value for the algorithm/product at each step of the R&D process, use existing models or create new ones to select/pre-annotate these assets, process millions of images/videos on our scalable infrastructure.
Education & Experience
Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field (or equivalent practical experience)
- Solid understanding of either NLP or Computer Vision is a plus
- Experience with distributed computation and with large databases is a plus