Touch Sensor Architecture and Modeling Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Opaque Touch and Sensing team develops ground breaking Touch solutions and technologies that are central to Apple’s products, including the MacBook Pro, Mac Book Air, Apple Pencil, HomePod, Apple TV Siri Remote, Magic Mouse and Magic TrackPad. You will be part of a team developing innovative concepts for products used by millions of people. The position involves electrostatics and multiphysics modeling, sensor design and system-level performance analysis.
- - Strong background in electrostatics and dielectric materials.
- - Experience with FEA modeling tools and understanding of the underlying governing equations.
- - Direct experience with COMSOL (or equivalent) FEA simulation tools.
- - Understanding of material behavior and how it impacts sensor performance due to thermal, humidity, electromagnetic and mechanical effects. Multiphysics modeling background to incorporate these effects is a plus.
- - Good understanding of electrical circuits. Experience with touch sensor design is a plus.
- - Familiarity with CAD software such as SolidWorks or NX is a plus.
- - Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to facilitate cross-functional discussion is extremely meaningful.
The prime responsibility for this role is model-driven development of touch sensors. - Drive new sensor technology - feasibility analysis, material stack up, and sensor element design. - model & simulate sensor designs to determine the response of those designs to user interaction. - develop analytical models for predicting sensor performance accounting for manufacturing and environmental variations. - circuit modeling, statistical analysis and design with consideration for system integration. - tolerance and sensitivity analysis. - Analysis and verification of designs including correlation of bench testing to simulation models. - Work with cross-functional team of electrical engineers, mechanical designers and material scientists, etc. - Perform rigorous design reviews with internal teams and vendors.
Education & Experience
M.S. +3 years or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics related fields or industry experience equivalent.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.