Camera Incubation Prototyping Engineer (Computational Imaging)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Apple is looking for a world class researcher to join a multi-disciplinary team to create ideas and concepts for future Apple camera products and customer experiences. Our Camera Incubation Team is responsible for looking down the road and explore and prototype novel camera experiences, architectures and technologies. We collaborate with design and product teams to bring new features across the Apple product line. We would love you to join our team to tackle these challenges! This team is seeking an exceptional computational imaging expert with hands-on prototyping skills to take ownership of investigations with cross-functional teams. As a member of the Camera Incubation team you will be part of a dynamic, fast-paced environment that requires excellent collaborative skills as well passion and dedication to demonstrate your ideas with concept prototypes. A successful candidate has experience with computational camera design and exploration of new capabilities, is comfortable with state of the art processing techniques, and has a good understanding of the image formation process, from photons to professionally looking images or extraction of machine-vision information. We are looking for an individual with a curious mind and critical thinking, able to adjust to changes in project directions based on insights obtained from experimental and simulated data. The candidate should be able to clearly articulate what motivates a particular approach, and its pros and cons as well as risks.
- 5-10 years of experience) in the following:
- 1. Computational imaging for photography, and state-of-art computer vision; hands-on camera calibration techniques
- 2. Integrated processing of different sensing modalities including depth and spectral data
- 3. Experience with Digital Camera Systems characterization, including radiometry, photometry, light measurement
- 4. Machine learning in vision, model and data-driven approaches
- Preferred experience with end-to-end camera system modeling
- Experience in prototyping new technologies and systems
- Excellent software skills in C/C++, Python, Matlab, computer vision and imaging libraries, TensorFlow, Pytorch
- This role requires the ability to learn quickly and become familiar with several different technology areas
We brainstorm, design, and prototype novel experiences around use of cameras and come up with innovative technical solutions if required. You will participate in generating innovative ideas and concepts which you will then implement in software or hardware prototypes. You will communicate cross-functionally with camera hardware and software teams to assess usability as well as technology advantages and risks.
Education & Experience
M.S or Ph.D. in Computer Vision, Signal Processing, Optical Engineering or equivalent, with 5 years experience in related field.