Data Products Engineering Manager, Ad Platforms
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informational and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising across in Apple News and Search Ads in the App Store. Our platforms are highly performant, deployed at scale, and set new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy! The Ad Platforms Data Insights team is seeking a data products engineering manager to help own the design and scale of key data, analytic, and reporting systems. In this role you will work as a technical manager of a product focused data engineering team driving the development, execution, and continuous improvement of new and existing capabilities. You will directly enable teams of analysts, business users, and data scientists by creating the standards and frameworks to enable the reliable and efficient production of new data products. A successful candidate will have previous experience leading teams of engineers and analysts, designing data systems and products, and creating data models for reporting and analytics. You will also have experience leveraging traditional ETL and data generation technologies as well as a keen understanding of distributed data storage and processing technologies such as Spark, Kafka, EMR, and Hadoop.
- The ability to manage, cultivate, and grow teams of engineers and analysts with a minimum of 8 years professional experience
- Experience with the practical application of data warehousing concepts, methodologies, and frameworks using various (SparkSQL, Hadoop, Kafka, Snowflake, Vertica) distributed technologies
- Experience with platform approaches to data architecture at scale and supporting data science teams
- Experience with multiple file formats including Avro, SequenceFile, JSON, Parquet, and ORC a plus
- SparkSQL, Hive, Druid, Dremio, Cassandra, Solr, or other big data query engine experience a plus
- Advanced skills using one or more scripting languages (e.g., Python, bash, etc.) a plus
- Experience with applying data encryption and data security standards
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a business-focused audience
- A passion to reinforce and enrich an engineering team culture driving team engagement and happiness
- Most importantly, do you have a sense of humor and an eagerness to learn?
You and your team will play crucial roles building data products that deliver on Apple's privacy commitments to our customers and change the way advertising works with data. You will collaborate closely with the business to deliver relevant data and insight to advise our strategy and decisions. - Serve as the team lead for a group passionate about rapidly supporting, developing, and scaling data products for online and offline consumption by business and analytic stakeholders - Define and institute best practices in storage, processing, copy/synchronization, etc. appropriate to the scale and maturity of our products - Work with cross functional teams to prototype new concepts and deliver end-to-end systems in an agile setting - Produce high quality systems with excellent reliability and scalability - Requires a strong understanding of the intersection between business, analytics, and engineering resulting in a proactive approach. Focusing on reusable solutions, to improve efficiency and time to insight - Must be able to prioritize in a rapidly changing environment and perform optimally in a sprint-based, agile development environment
Education & Experience
BS or MS Computer Science, Mathematics, or similar quantitative field.