Boulder, Colorado, United States
Apple is looking for a highly motivated Optical Engineer to join Panel Process and Optics (PPO) Engineering team.
- Strong lab skills in designing, building and running experiments with precision optical setups
- Ability to develop and execute cohesive strategies to understand difficult problems, perform root cause analysis and develop mitigation strategies
- Hands-on experience developing optical physics models in Matlab or equivalent, and ability to translate those models into physical demonstrations
- Experience with broad range of optical systems (interferometers, LED, lasers, optical breadboarding alignment techniques)
- Ability to document both tools developed as well as standard operating procedures (SOP) for executing measurements.
- Flexible and collaborative, willing to work in fast paced product and technology development prototype assembly line
- Experience with diffractive optics
The position will span the technological space between research and product development. We are seeking scientific thinkers who can reduce to practice methods of novel optical design fabrication for display applications. The successful candidate will be responsible for working to identify and develop fabrication methods in the area of diffractive optics. Responsibilities will span working with the team to identify relevant experiments, drafting test-plans, designing, prototyping and building the tools to perform the experiments, optimization and documenting the use for adoption by other team members. We encourage self-directed work and require everyone to be highly self motivated. Additionally, a successful candidate needs to be flexible, receptive to ideas from others, team oriented, and willing to work with scientists, engineers and others for continuing to push the technology envelop from varied technical backgrounds. Expect this work to include interfacing with cross-functional teams responsible for designing and producing exciting new display technologies.
Education & Experience
PhD or MS with 5+ years of experience in optical engineering, physics, electrical engineering or related field.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Prior experience with photo refractive materials
- Experience with optical modeling tools (Light Tools, Zemax, etc)
- Familiarity of cleanroom environment (Class 1000 and Class 100)
- Experience working with backend semiconductor/display manufacturing equipment preferred