Product Design Engineer, Lead - Retail Fixture Product Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is seeking a product design engineer to join the Retail Fixture PD team! This diverse group of engineers design integrated hardware solutions into the tables, shelving and other elements used for Apple partner stores. These solutions are crafted to produce an engaging customer experience that elevates and showcases Apple products! Ideally, you are someone who approaches problem solving with creativity and curiosity. Within our team, your responsibilities will span technology development and concept generation to detailed design, analysis, and testing through mass production of complex assemblies. The Retail Fixture PD team values engineers with a desire to acquire new skills and further their professional development. You will have the opportunity to learn and apply knowledge in many engineering subject areas, including material selection, machine design, manufacturing processes (CNC, injection molding, sheet metal stamping, etc), stress and failure analyses, PCB integration, and cosmetic finishing. You should be an excellent communicator who is able to fluently collaborate with cross functional teams within Apple, like the Industrial Design Group, Marcom 3D Design Group as well as external suppliers.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment and self-motivation to identify and drive resolution on design issues across multiple projects
- Highly effective communication skills; ability to clearly explain complex issues to a variety of audiences, think about the big picture when communicating, and report technical details succinctly
- The ability to articulate design issues in quantitative terms both verbally and with documentation
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively on short timelines in an encouraging environment
- A passion for functional design and an appreciation for detail
- International travel required
- Computer industry experience not required. Serious consideration will be given to qualified candidates from other analytical fields with robust engineering fundamentals.
- Developing initial fixture architectures and new technology concept investigations - Designing 3D models of mechanisms and drafting 2D documentation of all parts and assemblies - Partnering with the design teams to refine aesthetics and customer experience - Building physical models to evaluate functionality, manufacturability, and robustness - Generating and accepting feedback in brainstorming and design review forums - Performing tolerance analyses to verify performance of mechanisms and cosmetic specifications in the presence of mass production dimensional variation - Collaborating with operations teams to evaluate and develop supply chains capable of manufacturing new subsystems and products - Interacting with external vendors to develop manufacturing processes and tooling concepts - Analyzing data generated from vendor builds and lab experiments - Traveling both domestically and internationally to piece part and assembly vendors to realize the physical design and finding root cause for failures
Education & Experience
- B.S. degree in mechanical engineering is required - 5+ years proven experience in mechanical design (Internships and co-op experiences are included)
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation