Laser Device Characterization Engineer - Camera Hardware
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in developing excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? The Camera Hardware Engineering group is responsible for all research, design, development, test and qualification of camera hardware and software for Apple products. The Camera Sensor team develops image sensor and other silicon solutions and technologies for Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and more. As a key member of the Core Sensing Devices team, you will be responsible for test and characterization development for the next generation laser products.
- Solid practical understanding of optical systems
- Hands-on optical alignment experience, preferably involving laser and LED based free-space optical systems
- Extensive hands-on experience with typical optics/electronics lab equipment - Power meters, OSAs, cameras/detectors, optical stages/mounts, oscilloscopes, current/voltage sources, etc.)
- Experience using Labview, Matlab, VB, C#, or similar for lab equipment control, data collection, and data analysis
- Experience with statistical data analysis tools (Python, JMP, etc.)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with VCSEL / Edge-Emitting Laser design is a plus
- Experience with high precision optical instrumentation is a plus
- Experience with high volume production testers is a plus.
Key Responsibilities: Primary focus is on engineering level system design and device characterization for performance validation and failure analysis/root cause identification Build and characterize optical systems involving illumination sources (LEDs, lasers, lamps), and a variety of free-space optical elements (lenses, gratings, prisms, etc.) Take primary ownership of data collection and analysis for optical components and systems, and ensure accuracy of results Provide written documentation of procedures, setups, and experimental results, with strong attention to detail Build, maintain, calibrate, qualify, and operate a wide variety of off the shelf and custom optical characterization tools Majority of the work will take place in a laboratory environment Cross-functional Responsibilities: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Device Process, Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Process Engineering to deliver state-of-the-art camera solutions 10~20% international travel expected
Education & Experience
B.S in Optics, Physics, or Electrical Engineering