Laser Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Join a growing laser SME group within Manufacturing Design. In this role you will develop new laser processes for a variety of marking, texturing, welding and cutting applications. Your work will begin in a development lab and scale to mass-production machine design, testing and qualification with external laser integration vendors. Come open up the boundaries of laser processing at one of the world’s most exciting manufacturing groups!
- 5+ years of direct experience with hands-on laser process development
- Solid understanding of laser/material interactions
- Experience with design and execution of multi-parameter DOEs, documentation and summary of experimental configurations and results
- Comfortable with alignment of free-space laser optics in a lab setting
- Ability to develop a process in collaboration with overseas contract manufacturers. Comfortable providing on-site support at manufacturing sites during development and product production ramp, and working together with a team to drive all engineering issues to resolution.
- Strong project leadership skills to track program schedules and work
- Experience with high-precision manufacturing, experience with strict cosmetic requirements a plus
- Experience with development and installation of fixtures, optics, laser sources, scan head & nozzles is a plus
- Develop advanced laser processes to advance Apple’s capabilities in marking, welding, cutting, texturing on aluminum, copper, plastic, ceramics, glass, sapphire and new materials - Work with teams to develop laser processes and equipment specs vital for achieving application goals - Find opportunities for system integration and software customization to achieve application goals - Engage with external integrators to develop mass-production laser equipment based on development lab findings - Lead process development and equipment qualification planning and work with project teams to scale and support machine bring-up & qualification throughout mass-production ramp - Own, create & distribute roadmap of future laser technology development - Validate product durability & quality concerns introduced by laser processes - 15-30% domestic and international travel required
Education & Experience
BS, MS, or PhD degree in engineering (optical, mechanical, manufacturing, industrial, electrical, materials science, or equivalent)
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.