Server/Storage Senior Mechanical Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
The Infrastructure Services (IS) Server/Storage Hardware team is responsible for the design and development of our industry-leading, large-scale, server and storage hardware architectures. We create the highest quality, most energy efficient and secure designs in the world. As part of this team, you will work with multiple groups to develop, design and test the mechanical and thermal aspects of scale-out designs to meet Apple’s constantly changing landscape. The Mechanical Engineer Lead owns development of systems from concept to production in order to produce the most energy efficient, cost effective, and scalable designs achievable.
- 7+ years of Mechanical Engineering experience in the design of server, storage and Hyperscale data center infrastructure
- Experience with designing rack level solutions that can be shipped fully integrated around the world
- Experience designing dense (80+ HDDs), spinning hard drive storage solutions and complexities involved - HDD sensitivity to vibration, thermals, serviceability
- Experience in working with remote ODM vendors to create components and assemblies for prototyping
- 5+ years experience with 3D CAD modeling software
- 3+ years’ experience with Simulation and Finite Element Analysis tools (ANSYS/Fluent/Icepak/Flotherm)
- Experience in structural design and analysis tools
- Experience in sheet metal design, PCA mechanical design, plastic design
- Experience with prototyping and high volume manufacturing methods
- Basic knowledge of heat transfer and finite element analysis.
- Excellent communication skills
The Mechanical Engineer is a critical member of the multi-discipline server/storage/infrastructure hardware team from concept through production. The Mechanical Engineer will develop an under standing of the key aspects of existing data center systems and infrastructure to the extent that key sources of: high capital/operational costs, reduced efficiencies, high-levels of maintenance, security issues and safety risks can be identified drive improvements. Working with the larger team, drive the mechanical/thermal requirements and execute designs from concept to production including specification, design, prototyping, testing and documentation. Review and collaborate with our data center operations, security, safety teams to ensure that designs meet or exceed our existing standards and agreements. Works with internal teams and design partners to ensure the successful transition from concept to production. The Mechanical Engineer provide technical support as a subject matter expert, for emergent issues in existing systems, providing direction to root cause and failure analysis efforts.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering