Hardware Systems Architect - Exploratory Design Group
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. This role is all about making systems that have never been made before. Building and integrating complex components, working with cross-functional engineering teams, and making devices that live up to high expectations. This role requires an engineer who is not afraid to tackle challenges, and knows how to balance innovation with practicality. You will work with members of the cross-functional engineering team to define and implement custom hardware that supports and drives our prototype platforms and instruments. You will be expected to reduce high level feature requests to practical and implementable hardware designs, while understanding and balancing implementation tradeoffs.
- The ideal candidate will have 7+ years’ experience with system-level analysis and simulation, along with circuit design, schematic capture, PCB layout, system integration, and lab characterization.
- Experience working with multiple cross-functional teams (e.g. software, mechanical, optical) to balance design tradeoffs
- Experience with various simulation tools, such as Spectre, ANSYS, Simulink
- Experience writing ERSs and driving technical work with external vendors
- Strong analytical skills; strong analog and digital circuit design skills
- Experience with various schematic capture tools, such as Eagle, Altium, and Cadence
- Experience with PCB layout on complex multi-layer boards
- Experience designing systems that include FPGAs, embedded microcontrollers, analog sensors.
- Experience using standard lab equipment for system testing, characterization, and debug (e.g. oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzer, etc.)
- Skill writing test or automation software in high level languages is a plus (e.g. C, Python)
- Applicant must work well in a team environment
As a Hardware Systems Architect, you will develop tools, models, and simulations to guide the system architecture, and define system features and performance requirements. Work with senior engineers and management to identify, scope, and execute investigations and internal technology development that ensures the long-term success of the program. Work with cross-functional teams within the company to design new modules or incorporate existing ones as appropriate to accelerate system development. Own the ERSs for custom ASICs and work with external vendors end-to-end to develop chips that meet system requirements. Define new processes as needed to enable the System EE team to produce sophisticated deliverables in an efficient and high-quality way. Advise and review the work of less experienced engineers to encourage technical growth and maintain Apple’s high standards.
Education & Experience
Minimum BS in EE or CS required