Hardware Systems Engineer - Exploratory Design Group
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? This role is all about making systems that have never been made before. Building and integrating complex components, working with cross-functional engineering teams, and making devices that live up to high expectations. This role requires an engineer who is not afraid to take on challenges, and knows how to balance innovation with practicality. You will work with members of the cross-functional engineering team to define and implement custom hardware that supports and drives our prototype platforms and instruments. You will be expected to reduce high level feature requests to practical and implementable hardware designs, while understanding and balancing implementation tradeoffs.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years’ experience with system-level bring-up, characterization, and debug; analysis and simulation; and circuit design, schematic capture, and PCB layout.
- Strong analytical skills; strong analog and digital circuit design skills
- Experience using standard lab equipment for system testing, characterization, and debug (e.g. oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzer, etc.)
- Experience with various simulation tools, such as Spectre, ANSYS, Simulink
- Experience with various schematic capture tools, such as Eagle, Altium, and Cadence
- Experience with PCB layout on complex multi-layer boards
- Experience designing systems that include analog sensors, ADCs, FPGAs, embedded microcontrollers
- Experience working with multiple cross-functional teams (e.g. software, mechanical, optical) to balance design tradeoffs
- Skill writing test or automation software in high level languages is a plus (e.g. C, Python)
- Applicant must work well in a team environment
As a Hardware Systems Engineer, you will have the following responsibilities: - Own and drive major aspects of bring-up, characterization, and debug at the board and system level - Develop tools, models, and simulations to guide PCB routing and interconnect decisions - Drive analysis of and improvements to analog signal chain performance - Guide and review the work of less experienced engineers to encourage technical growth and maintain Apple’s high standards
Education & Experience
Minimum BS in EE or CS required