Engineering Manager - Hearing Technology
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience - Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. The Audio Product Acoustics team is responsible for the acoustic performance of the EarPod, AirPod and HomePod product lines as well as the design of many of Apple’s hearing health features. We are motivated to share our love of audio so that anyone can be moved by sound the way that we are. We are a diverse team having expertise in acoustic design and integration, algorithm prototyping, critical listening and hearing science. We work daily with cross-functional teams to find innovative solutions to complex engineering issues. We are searching for a team leader with experience in both people management and hearing science to continue building our world class team with the ultimate goal of delivering new and innovative audio experiences to the customer.
- Passion to lead and mentor a diverse, high-performing engineering team
- Expertise in hearing science research and auditory perception
- Ability to lead technical design discussions from concept to implementation
- Knowledge of audio signal processing related to hearable devices
- Ability to represent the team and remove hurdles to enable success
- People management experience including active listening, conflict resolution and resource prioritization in a highly cross functional environment
- Proven track record of effective communication and team building skills
- Learning attitude with a keen attention to detail
You will manage a small but world class team of scientists, engineers and technologists working to develop compelling audio features and experiences that touch nearly all of Apple’s product lines. Additionally, you will aid in a strategic team expansion to increase both the breadth and depth of the team’s research and productization efforts. This is a highly visible role enabling high level communication and coordination opportunities across many different teams. You will have the opportunity to thrive in a fast-paced environment where both individual drive and team collaboration are the keys to success. Future growth potential for this role and the team are high. Travel required as needed to support strategic development activities.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineering managers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Signal Processing, Physics, Hearing Science or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in audio, acoustics or hearing science, we still want to hear from you.