Research/Machine Learning Engineer, Apple Media Products Analytics
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
We are looking for a top-notch research engineer to build big data pipelines and features that will enable analysts and data scientists to develop insights and build machine learning models. These insights will be used to improve customer experience on products such as App Store, Apple Music and iTunes Store. Our products reach hundreds of millions of customers around the world, and have revolutionized how people interact with their music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, and podcasts.
- Strong knowledge of Java or Scala and distributed algorithms
- Proficiency in Spark, Java MapReduce development and experience with Hadoop or other data processing technologies required
- Experience with developing large-scale data warehousing, data mining or analytic systems
- Experience with implementing Machine learning based applications are required.
- Strong object-oriented design skills, coupled with a deep knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Excellent communication skills for requirement gathering and clarification
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to drive projects to completion
- Knowledge of Python is a plus
- Knowledge of Hadoop-related technologies such as Azkaban, Oozie, HBase, Hive or Pig is a plus
- 5+ years of programming experience, preferably in Java, Scala
The Apple Media Products Analytics team is responsible for collecting, processing, analyzing, and reporting on customer experience data. From the raw data collected we generate various feature datasets, such as aggregates and funnels, which are used to improve how customers interact with our products. You will work on a small team that is responsible for collecting requirements from data scientists and analysts, translating them into engineering specs, working with other teams on instrumentation and data quality, and developing datasets and machine learning features used for analytics and research. Solid engineering skills matters — you will be expected to write code that is robust, reusable, testable and maintainable, paying special attention to data quality and performance details. We are looking for a research engineer who can proactively drive projects to delivery, has excellent communication skills, sweats the details, and cares about how the data they produce is interpreted and used. Teamwork is important to you — you readily contribute to design discussions, and are able to both give and receive constructive code reviews. Your curiosity drives you to explore new technologies and apply creative solutions to problems.
Education & Experience
BS degree in Computer Science or a related field. MS or PHD preferred.