Product Design Integration Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Are you seeking to push the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our Battery Engineering group, craft creative battery solutions that deliver more energy in smaller spaces than ever before. We work across subject areas to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new battery technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what batteries can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. In this role you will utilize your skills as a BMS HW qualification manager to lead a hardworking team of engineers and technicians to verify and validate battery packs for next generation consumer electronics. The Battery Engineering team owns battery module development from initial system architecture through product ramp. The Battery Engineering organization at Apple produces high energy, highly reliable embedded battery systems for all portable Apple products. This organization is tightly integrated with Product Development, Operations, Industrial Design and Reliability Testing groups.
- 4+ years experience in product design
- 4+ year experience with product integration process and methodology
- Experience with inspection methods and equipment, Cp & CpK, GR&R, CMM, optical measurement systems, etc.
- Experience with development of assembly equipment, process development, product integration and measurement inspection systems.
- Experience with high-volume manufacturing
- Experience working with Chinese vendors and international travel.
- Experience with product, fixture and equipment design.
- Familiarity with Lithium-based battery technologies is highly desired
- Proficient in CAD, NX preferred
- Strong understanding of GD&T
- Strong understanding of design, development and qualification processes.
- Strong, proven experience in equipment design for component fabrication and assembly.
- Extensive experience with root cause failure analysis and corrective action planning.
- Knowledge of inspection methodology and equipment
- Knowledge of adhesive and die cutting development and validation preferred.
- Working understanding of high-volume manufacturing systems.
- Ability to drive programs to completion.
- Ability to develop dynamic multi-functional team relationships.
- Self-motivated, with a proven record of successful execution.
- Ability to identify and communicate clear project goals and project plans.
- Ability to clearly explain technical issues.
- Excellent written and verbal skills a must.
- Self-starter with excellent time management skills and entrepreneurial spirit.
The Product Design Integration Engineer will be responsible for the design and fabrication of test bucks and installation equipment to fabricate cell and pack test buck assemblies for reliability testing. These responsibilities include the following: •Create and maintain detailed 2D/3D geometry and documentation for all test bucks component and assembly drawings through rev A release. •Work with third party vendors to develop battery to test buck installation equipment based on FATP installation processes and parameters including, creating equipment SOWs, DFM, MSOP and MBO reports. •Work multi-functionally with system PD and TPM for FATP pack installation method, including press force, dwell time and press or rolling head geometry. •Review and approval of installation equipment SOP, HMI content and layout, PM schedule, equipment BOM and instruction manual. •Work with EE group to develop electrical test boards per reliability testing protocols. •Work multi-functionally with system and battery PD to defining pack and cell installation gaps. •Work multi-functionally with GSM, EPM and vendor to drive and lead buck procurement, inspection and approval. •Create BOM for test buck assembly components •Update equipment design to reflect any adhesive and MCO changes. •Analyze Tekscan pressure measurement data to resolve functionality of equipment is operating with press uniformity and limits. •Create project timelines to handle all activities related to test buck assembly up to REL builds. •Work with battery design engineer to develop/characterize adhesive solutions for multi-cell battery packs with a focus on dimensional and dynamic stability during transportation and system use cases. •Communicates program status to cross-functional team and management.
Education & Experience
BS/MS degree in Electrical Engineering
- International and domestic travel up to 25%