Server/Storage Platform Hardware Design Manager
Austin, Texas, United States
Imagine what you could do here! Do you love the challenge of solving complex problems that can have a direct impact on the success of the company? At Apple, phenomenal ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! We are seeking an energetic, self-driven and experience senior hardware engineer to lead and manage the IS Server/Storage Hardware Development Team. In this role you will play a pivotal role in the leading the team to define, design and execution Apple’s next generation standard server and storage server platforms. As a key member of our hardware team, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to lead the HW development team to create cutting-edge customized platforms that fit within Apples future application and datacenter environments. These platforms are the bedrock of the infrastructure services that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every day.
- 10+ years of electrical server and storage system hardware design
- 7+ years experience as a people manager of electrical hardware engineers across multiple geographical sites
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading all aspects of server/storage hardware design - high speed interconnects, mechanical, thermal, vibration, power sub-systems (PSUs, VRDs, DC Rectifiers), system validation, leading complex debug activities, Agency/Safety and Firmware.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent programs/platforms with competing requirements and priorities
- Advanced experience in the electrical PCA design process -> schematic capture, PCB layout, organizing design reviews (both internally & with external vendors)
- Experience driving in-house PCA development from schematic capture through manufacturing ramp
- Advanced experience in 2P Intel Motherboard architecture and design
- Advanced skill in high speed signal design and optimization at the PCA Level as well as among system interconnects (board to board connectors, custom high speed cable design)
- Experience delivering products using an overseas design partner from design implementation through production
- Experience working and collaborating with Server System BIOS and BMC firmware architects and engineers to optimize the hardware and firmware within a platform
- Experience with hyper-scale/scale-out server and storage server design and associated cost savings, feature optimizations
- Experience designing high LFF drive count (>75) storage sub-systems for large scale rack deployments
- Experience leading design with complex storage topologies: HBAs, SAS expanders, PCIe Switches and Retimers
- Experience leading multi-discipline teams in the debug and root cause of complex technical issues at all levels of the system.
This meaningful and exciting role combines two critical aspects of our Server Hardware Design Team. First, this role will directly manage a team of electrical hardware engineers to design, validate and productize all aspects of the server and storage systems on the roadmap. This includes leading the internal design resources (layout, component engineers, procurement) as well as the activities of the external design partners (ODMs) to execute the design. Second, this role will be the primary owner responsible for the delivery of all hardware/technical deliverables required for future server and storage systems. This role will work closely with all functional leads on the immediate team, broader Apple team and external suppliers to ensure all technical aspects of the design are implemented accurately, validated and introduced into the production environment efficiently. Teamwork and communication are absolutely foundational requirements to ensuring success in this role.
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering Masters Degree in Engineering Discipline or MBA preferred
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.