Hardware Electrical Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Are you seeking to push the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our Battery Engineering group, craft creative battery solutions that deliver more energy in smaller spaces than ever before. We work across subject areas to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new battery technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what batteries can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of Battery Qualification Labs where you will help to identify electrical equipment used to qualify cells and packs that will be included in the next generation of products. The ideal candidate has a background in electrical engineering, test equipment and metrology.
- 8+ years of related experience
- Experience in design and implementation of complex test apparatus
- Experience working with automated test equipment in a production setting
- Experience with estimating uncertainty in ammeters, voltmeters and thermometers to determine if a gauge is fit for purpose
- Experience with printed circuit board assembly design and manufacture including board layout, materials selection and SMT
- Understanding of calibration and the propagation of uncertainty and traceability to the SI
- Effective in performing detailed electrical design reviews.
- Demonstrated working with fixture, tools, and precision instrumentations
- Hands on experience in troubleshooting complex electrical apparatus at the component level.
- Knowledgeable in statistical analysis of data and tools for analytics
- Desirable technical skills:
- Proficiency in electrical metrology and high accuracy instrumentation design
- Experience in FMEA and fault tree analysis.
- Knowledge and experience with 6 sigma design practices.
- Experience with machine shop equipment and tools
Our Engineering Team is responsible for architecting, specifying, and realizing advanced electromechanical test and automation apparatus. You will be a key technical contributor and will utilize your in depth electrical engineering skills to help realize and implement engineering or manufacturing test equipment in a production environment • Collect requirements and review engineering specifications and test plans to figure out, if any, new equipment is required to test samples • Work with vendors to review and present specifications • Work with vendors to test and qualify test equipment. Site acceptance testing, factory acceptance testing, etc • Write specifications and procedures to enable the purchase and use of selected equipment in domestic and foreign labs. • Work with users of equipment to ensure it is implemented correctly • Review design proposals, CAD prints, models, etc. • Help to design and develop custom equipment for a manufacturing environment • Develop methods and tests to qualify equipment to determine if it is capable of measuring the samples and producing data with the required quality • Develop detailed design validation plans • Execute design validation activity and determine if apparatus meets specifications. • Uncover design related issues and communicate them clearly to the team and vendor(s). • Work in close cooperation with a cross-functional team of professionals. • Present electrical metrology data and analysis to management
Education & Experience
BS/MS degree in Electrical Engineering
- Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected ~10%