Physical Layer Control System Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and optimizing end to end systems? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our modem development team, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge wireless systems algorithms that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform a cross layer embedded architecture into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Do you want to have an impact on every single Apple product? As a PHY Control Systems Engineer on this team, you will be responsible for designing and simulating a plethora of physical layer control algorithms along with their cross- layer impact. This position requires someone familiar will all aspects of systems and algorithm development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of wireless communication systems (OFDM/MIMO, etc.).
- Experience in physical layer algorithm design, algorithm validation, feature bring up, and commercialization.
- Deep understanding of 5G-NR and LTE standards, including PHY, MAC and RRC specifications.
- Hands on experience on lab testing & characterization is required. Experience on bring up real silicon in lab and familiarity with field testing and performance characterization is required.
- Deep understanding of communication theory & signal processing related algorithms design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairment estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, etc.)
- Experience with Matlab or Python and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, hardware and software control
- Ability to understand performance impact under external restrictions such as coexistence issues is a plus.
In this technical role, you will be responsible for scoping and design of PHY control procedures in 5G-NR and LTE as part of a modem development group responsible for state-of-the-art wireless products. - Scope different control procedures in 5G-NR and LTE, identify the performance trade-offs and simulate state-of-the-art control procedures. - Identify dependencies between physical layer, upper layers and RF control procedures in order to optimize control procedures. - Take part in cross feature impact analysis. Determine how a physical layer procedure impacts other procedures and strive for a jointly optimized algorithm. Consider end-user experience and scalability aspects as a part of algorithm design. - Support firmware and software development teams from design throughout commercialization.
Education & Experience
MS with 10 Years experience or Ph.D. with 7 years experience.