Systems Architect - JMET Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
JMET is an outstanding security engineering group within Apple IS&T. We provide critical security services for the company across every product line. From manufacturing to customer facing, our services span across the entire lifecycle of most Apple hardware. We are responsible for the design, implementation and ongoing support of the services that we build. Many of our services that we build are referred to in the iOS Security Guide or publicly discussed on internet forums. We are seeking a systems architect to ensure that our implementations of new platform security services or system improvements are backed by a rigorous design plan and a clear understanding of scope, before resources are committed. This individual is encouraged to come up to speed with our current service offerings and help shape the roadmap.
- Experience designing security engineering solutions
- Demonstrable track record of shipped products and customer facing services
- Strong technical background
- Solid understanding of security concepts
- Familiarity with distributed services and deployment scenarios to support local, on premise and cloud-based platforms.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and documentation skills
JMET’s portfolio of services is supported by a significant infrastructure footprint hosted across several geographies. The systems architect will be responsible for ensuring that the underlying platform is well designed and implemented. It should be backed by a rigorous design plan before resources are committed. While the systems architect will need to engage on a tactical level to some extent, the expectation is that they always keep a strategic view of JMET technologies and features. Responsibilities Collaborate with external clients and internal teams to ensure feature requests have clearly defined: Problem statements, Requirements and Goals Work alongside JMET Engineering and Program Management to ensure all multi-functional clients and parties involved agree upon those definitions in some form of documented consensus. Ensuring features have adequately described a plan for: Implementation, Qualification & Deployment Identify risk in complex multi-tier environments and help guide architecture tradeoffs to reduce business risk and improve product security
Education & Experience
BSCS or equivalent
- The systems architect is expected to make recommendations to JMET senior leadership on the feasibility of features and their potential resource needs.
- The systems architect is expected to participate in any regular cross functional policy definition meetings and cross functional feature forums that will affect critical JMET technology. They will make themselves generally familiar with the majority of JMET development, operations and infrastructure. They also need to become familiar with current JMET processes and can make recommendations on process improvements as they see fit.
- The systems architect is expected to remain abreast of emerging technology directions within the company and the wider industry. In particular, they are expected to be familiar with Apple platform security architecture across both software and hardware including technologies such as secure boot and attestation.
- The systems architect is expected to identify new technologies and initiatives that JMET can develop for other Apple organizations. At some point, they may become responsible for garnering sponsorship for new initiatives.