Maps Content Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple is a place where extraordinary people gather to do their best work! Together we create products and experiences people once couldn’t have envisioned, and now can’t imagine living without. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. At Apple Maps, our mission is to enable our customers to discover, navigate and experience the world. We are geospatial experts making data driven decisions to build and improve the Maps experience. We are looking for a passionate, creative, and technical content experts.
- A passion for maps and map data.
- Experience working with large, complex geospatial datasets.
- 2+ years in spatial queries on PostgresSQL/PostGIS databases and analysis using GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS, OpenJUMP).
- Strong scripting skills and the ability to automate tasks using Python and Bash
- 2+ years experience evaluating, building or ingesting map data for navigation products.
- Domain knowledge of commercial map data specifications and formats, and OSM schema and tagging.
- Excellent analytical skills and intuition, capable of making decisions based on analysis results and experience.
- Attention to detail, accuracy and quality of output, and a pride of ownership of it.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to seamlessly switch between working independently and as part of a collaborative team.
Our team combines the map data analysis results with other disparate signals, such as data analytics, community engagement and user feedback to improve the Maps Platform. You will perform detailed analysis, evaluations and define engineering requirements on a variety of map data content, and help design the processes and build the systems to get the job done. On any given day you will be asked to: - Collaborate with other content engineers and developers to complete complex projects - Perform ad hoc and structured data analysis: evaluate, assess and report data quality - Inspect and validate map data - Write requirements and support the design of engineering solutions - Communicate detailed analysis and recommendations to a stakeholder for decision-making purposes.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, or relevant field
- - 2+ years experience with OpenStreetMap (OSM) and tools (JOSM, Overpass etc.)
- - 2+ years experience with commercial map data content
- - Knowledge of PostgresSQL/PostGIS database management