Sustaining Hardware Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, phenomenal ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! The Internet Services Hardware Systems Engineering team is looking for Sustaining Hardware Engineer who is a self-motivated Engineer who has passion for sustainability and reliability of the data center server infrastructure that runs the applications and services you and our customers use every day, such as iTunes, Maps, Siri, etc. We would like to see your approaches to problem solving with passion, creativity and curiosity. Continually striving for deeper understanding, we wsnt you to should embrace growth through a collaborative work environment with other teams. Examples include firmware development and validation, hardware system integration and test, failure analysis, hardware manufacturing, system and component reliability, analytics, etc.
- We are looking for 4+years of experience with electronics hardware manufacturing process pertaining to long term sustainability of systems
- We want knowledge of modern hyperscale server design, manufacturing, integration, and repair processes
- Familiar with SMT, PCB, integration testing, diagnostic tools and other production methods used during system manufacturing and assembly
- Ability to track overall reliability and lifecycle management of all fleet configurations/assets for:
- Reliability issues
- Hardware/firmware compliance
- Sustaining risk factors that could impact the ability to maintain production fleet servers
- Experience managing system service kits/field replaceable unit bill of materials (FRU BOM) of hyperscale platforms
- Experience managing primary and alternate components, tracking deviations, and ensuring qualification of future components on hyperscale platforms
- Experience with technical refresh approach and strategy
- Ability to produce effective and meaningful documentation for technical issues, turning sophisticated operations into clear task topics for action, and presenting developed materials to a variety of target internal audiences
- Experience working with system integrators, vendors, and internal hardware/software development teams
- Strong communication skills and experience working with cross functional teams
- Must be able to independently manage time and reprioritize tasks as necessary while ensuring critical deadlines are met
As the sustaining engineer, you will be responsible for updating and maintaining the server FRU BOMs, approved component vendor lists (AVL), and manage firmware releases used on these platforms. This role is essential to the management of Apple’s large hyperscale fleet. The successful candidate will be engaging with many internal and external teams. The server lifecycle and reliability of our fleet is a critical function. The ideal candidate will be familiar with failure analysis process and will work with hardware engineering and other teams across the company in analyzing fleet reliability. Responsibilities include working with cross-functional teams to evaluate new components for legacy systems, as well as with hardware engineering on all phases of NPI (New Product Introduction) process as it relates to sustaining and lifecycle management of deployed server technologies in the data center. Successful candidates may also consult as a hardware specialists on other projects.
Education & Experience
MS or BS Degree in Computer, Reliability, or Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.