RF/Wireless data engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is looking for a RF/wireless data engineer to perform, drive, and lead analysis of wireless data collected during naturalistic user studies validation to advise the design and development of Apple products. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on accuracy, understandability and performance of the product? You will become part of a hands-on development team that furthers engineering perfection, creativity and innovation. Dynamic, inspiring people and innovative technologies are the norm here. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish!
- Strong coder (data structures and manipulation, text parsing, CSV processing, external packages like NumPy) using Python, R or equivalent language; automation experience with Python and Bash
- We are looking for a strong team collaborator who thrives in a cross-functional environment
- Experience with creating and explaining novel data visualizations to advise understanding of complex problems.
- Proficient in creating pipelines and scripting data visualizations for repeated use by internal team members (e.g. using R - ggplot2 or equivalent language/package) to enable distributed and quick turnaround of data analysis.
- Strong fundamental understanding of wireless technologies (e.g., BT, Wifi) at the system level to help guide ‘what if’ questions when performing data investigations/analysis.
- We believe that ideal candidates will possess an upbeat personality with superb communication and interpersonal skills, attention to detail and patience.
- This position requires strengths in understanding and contributing to experimental design from which the data is captured, utilizing the scientific method, manipulating/analyzing datasets and streams from different sources, visualizing results effectively, and driving next steps based on the analysis and x-functional discussion.
- Its an added advantage if you are familiar with parsing wireless connectivity logs, link budgets, and path-loss.
- If you have designed user-studies that demonstrate/stress the robustness of wireless connectivity, its phenomenal.
In this role, you will support all phases of product and technology development in the context of wireless connectivity during natural human use. You will be working closely with some of our teams like human factors, antenna, RF, OTA, regulatory, engineering teams, who will look up to you to define, drive, and communicate results that will directly affect and improve the product and end user experience. - The Human Engineering Validation team is looking for an enthusiastic candidate who is adept at scripting and driving user studies validation to find problems in hardware. - You will spend your time working cross-functionally to help develop user studies for validating products with user experience and at-scale data collection. - A critical aspect is ensuring proper data collection, where processing logs and analyzing collected data is part-and-parcel of daily activities. - A large amount of your time will be spent with Python scripts, and data analysis. - Build novel tools and expand on the current internal capabilities of analysis techniques for processing and handling wireless connectivity data. - Develop statistical analysis and visualization tools to understand and distill the diversity and variability of wireless connectivity between devices during human use to our partners. - Understand the functional questions from internal and cross-functional partners and develop meaningful analysis to inform product level decisions and tradeoffs
Education & Experience
- 4 years post Bachelor's degree with a concentration or extensive work in data analysis/visualization, statistics, human-centered research, or equivalent.