Operations, Manufacturing Design Engineer Internship
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! In this highly visible role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on Apple Products, and leave a footprint for years to come. We have an opportunity for an accomplished quality engineer to lead development, and ramp for a next generation Apple product from both dimensional and cosmetic perspective. Our Operations team ensures that Apple’s ground breaking designs become industry-leading products, delivered on time and on spec. This high profile, highly respected organization is positioned at the junction of Apple’s product teams, the industries that supply core component technologies, and our manufacturing partners who help ensure that products such as iPad, iPhone and Mac can be restocked just as fast as they fly off the shelves. We’re looking for high-energy people to support the procurement, manufacturing, fulfillment and support of all things Apple!
- Experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment.
- Experience developing quality plans, validating test methods and gauges, and driving corrective actions / failure analysis efforts.
- Knowledge of quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations.
- Project management experience and a deep understanding of problem solving tools including design of experiments, root cause analysis and statistical process control principles preferred.
- Experience with any of the following: mechanical enclosures, casings, plastic parts, injection molding, tooling, jigs, fixtures, or automotive high volume quality manufacturing engineering.
- Understanding of GD&T Geometric Design & Tolerance, as well as statistics.
- Understanding of mechanical properties of materials as they relate to manufacturing requirements
- Understanding of DOE principles
- Ability to travel periodically domestic and overseas.
Areas of expertise within Manufacturing Design include: MANUFACTURING DESIGN ENGINEER As an MDE, you will handle selection, implementation & optimization of manufacturing processes for mechanical enclosure subassemblies for our legendary products. - Utilize Mechanical Engineering experience and work cross functionally with Product Design Engineering and Industrial Design - Assess product features for manufacturability, and recommend capable processes and equipment. - Developing new manufacturing processes to enable future product design and conducting DOEs to validate process capability. - Work with Global Supplier Managers to identify capable suppliers, assess their secondary processes for capacity, quality and cost. - Work with suppliers to define and refine mechanical tooling, fixtures and establish capability / readiness. - Audit supplier processes and assembly processes and support product phase builds from EVT, DVT PVT and ramp. - Assist post production quality / cost improvement activity related to fixtures and processes. MANUFACTURING QUALITY ENGINEER As an MQE, you will utilize Engineering, Factory Management & Supply Chain skills in developing and implementing high efficiency inspection equipment, groundbreaking quality systems and ultimately the best products available. - Help lead the creation of state of the art inspection & measurement equipment for Apple product. - Apply your understanding of quality control and manufacturing concepts to lead the development of specific Product Quality Plans (PQP) appropriate to program and commodity. - Provide technical direction and mentorship to other Quality Engineers supporting the implementation of the PQP. - Identify and direct studies to implement improvements in measuring method where appropriate. - Coordinate Quality Engineering functions for multiple programs in the product category. - Collaborate with internal and external groups to ensure accurate definition of quality expectations and appropriate assurance techniques are used for the product. - Supplier Quality Management - Assist in supplier selection process for new products and sourcing activities. Assess supplier production control and quality programs, identify shortfalls to expectations, and directly secure agreement to correct. Supervise each supplier's performance through measurement of production line statistics, company inspections, and audits. SUBJECT MATTER AUTHORITY Our SME's investigate and develop solutions to overcome difficult technical challenges that require non-standard manufacturing approaches. Apply your engineering skills to develop an in depth understanding of the process drivers that will drive successful implementation of significant improvements to mechanical enclosures. The following activities fall within the scope of responsibilities: - Assess mechanical designs and relate design goals to process, equipment, and material requirements to evaluate a set of options to tackle difficult manufacturing problems. - Research manufacturing processes and evaluate them for potential to achieve technical goals. - Plan and execute development trials to test feasibility, optimize process inputs, and validate capabilities of process options. - Present analysis to key decision makers used to make significant commercial and design commitments.
Education & Experience
Pursuing BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Industrial Engineering. You are additionally required to return to school after the internship to continue education or an internship needs to be required for graduation from your school. You also qualify if accepted into a graduate program after graduation.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.