LiDAR Sensor System Architect - SPG
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Special Project Group at Apple is currently seeking an extraordinary hardware engineer with broad skills to serve as a systems-level architecture lead for LiDAR-based depth sensing. The selected candidate will perform module architecture work including analysis, design, and development of LiDAR modules for autonomous development. Does working on autonomous technology excite you? If you’re passionate about the user experience and autonomous systems, want to work in a group that works on early stage hardware and enjoys crafting robust, scalable, and maintainable solutions? We may be the team for you. You will join an organization that owns all aspects of LiDAR technology development including research, design, test, qualification, and deployment on autonomous systems. LiDAR Engineers work with a cross-functional team of platform hardware and software engineers as well as outside suppliers to actualize designs and bring them into production.
- Strong communication skills including: working internally and externally to influence, persuade and negotiate while working under programmatic ambiguities; and an ability to work cross-functionally as well as effectively speaking publicly at the executive level.
- Strong knowledge and experience architecting and developing complex electro-optical systems with a heavy focus on depth sensing technologies.
- Excellent critical analysis, statistical analysis, and logic/reasoning skills.
- Define the module-level architecture trade space of components, sub-systems and integration options for LiDAR modules to meet a balance of performance, SWaP (Size, Weight, and Power), cost and schedule requirements. - Provide technical leadership within and across multiple module development projects. - Lead the specification of optical, mechanical, and electronic subsystems, and associated signal processing algorithms. - Work with internal teams, external partners, and/or vendors to design, develop, and characterize specified components and subsystems. - Lead and guide analysis and discussions for future hardware development. - Discover and track external technology development by suppliers, competitors, and academicians.
Education & Experience
M.S. or Ph.D. in relevant field (EE, ME, Optics, Physics) plus a minimum 5 years of industry experience.
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their loved ones in significant ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace