Senior Materials Lab Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively newer to Apple. We work with soft polymers, silicones, textiles and leather. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enable new product categories, and to enhance Apple’s existing product lines. Bringing Apple engineering and precision to products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and forward-thinking approach. We have an opportunity for a motivated Senior Materials Lab Engineer to utilize their in-depth characterization skills using advanced analytical tools to analyze various materials to extract structure-property relationships at the product level. You will join a multi-functional design team responsible for conceiving, crafting and producing exciting new products composed of SoftGoods materials. You should be passionate about materials development and characterization, sustainability and the environment, establishing relationships, developing top technical talent, and approaching problem solving with curiosity and imagination. We value people with a desire to learn new skills and view challenging questions as opportunities for insight. To that end, we are committed to professional development across all aspects of materials and communication, with mentorship and training opportunities both within and outside Apple.
- 8+ years of experience with polymer characterization tools, such as FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA and rheology
- 3+ years of industry experience with an emphasis on polymer or textile development
- Exceptional analytical and organization skills
- Able to work independently as well as with teammates
- Extensive hands-on experience in analytical chemistry techniques, including spectroscopy (FTIR), thermal analysis (DSC, TGA, DMA) and rheology. Ability to provide an understanding beyond standardized protocols (e.g. ASTM, ISO)
- Advanced knowledge of polymer science, with a keen understanding of structure-property relationships that govern mechanical performance, appearance, and overall material quality
- Strong background in characterizing material performance and performing failure analyses in quantitative terms
- Familiarity with soft materials, such as textiles, leathers, non-wovens, and adhesives, is a plus
- Strong ability to communicate detailed knowledge and understanding to various customers with different (including non-technical) backgrounds
- Expertise in organic and inorganic materials is considered a plus
- Act as a primary technical lead on one or more projects, providing advanced knowledge of product performance at the material level - Drive scientific studies of material performance, from designing an experimentation plan, to operating characterization instrumentation and analyzing final data - Provide insight on instrumentation capabilities and limitations in the context of failure analysis and/or material performance testing - Design custom test procedures based on new product design requirements - Communicate findings in a clear, concise manner to multiple audiences. Extract practical recommendations from lab work to inform on material selection, design feasibility, and manufacturing process development - Stay abreast of new technologies, processes, industry trends and changes in test methodologies - Collaborate with a team of lab engineers to delegate work and provide testing assistance when needed; train others on equipment use and maintenance
Education & Experience
- PhD or MS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer/Materials Science, Fiber Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related fields.