System/Rack Validation Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Be ready to make something great when you come here! The Infrastructure Services (IS) Hardware Design Team is seeking an energetic and self-driven system and rack validation engineer to develop, implement, and execute validation plans for Apple’s next generation Hyperscale server and Storage Server platforms! As a key member of our validation team, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to be responsible for validating, reviewing, and debugging the customized platforms that fit within Apple's future application and datacenter environments. These platforms are the bedrock of the internet services that will delight and encourage millions of Apple’s customers every day. We want you to have proven competency in testing Intel and/or AMD based server and storage hardware systems. We want you to have good understanding of server and rack architecture and have experience developing and executing test plans and tools to validate servers and racks from a functional, performance, power, thermal, OS, and error handling ability. The candidate will be required to formulate and run tests that ensure the system and rack designs are functional and operate as specified. We are looking for proven leadership and technical competence in driving debug efforts throughout the server development phases where multiple issues are being concurrently investigated. The candidate must be able to prioritize issues and work across the various design disciplines (Electrical, Firmware, Mechanical, Thermal, Power, etc). We are seeking a strong communicator and leader and must have experience working with global teams and ODMs. Knowledge of Linux and Linux scripting is a must and familiarity with object oriented programming languages is a plus.
- Experience performing system testing: stress testing, performance testing, power and thermal testing, OS and driver compatibility testing, etc.
- Experience with rack level testing: power and thermal testing, networking, rack management infrastructure testing, shock and vibe, etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot and debug system issues
- In-depth, working knowledge of Linux and Linux system administrator functions (driver install, firmware update, OS configuration, etc)
- Experience using various stress tools and benchmarks to evaluate system behavior and identify patterns and test cases that rapidly expose design flaws
- Experience working with IPMI and IPMITool
- Experience in creating BASH scripts to automate tasks
- Ability to identify and develop tools that can expand test coverage
- Experience working in both ODM and OEM environments
- Familiarity with Intel server architecture
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve, and innovate
- Proven ability to work under high pressure and comfortable working in a dynamic environment
- System and Rack Validation Engineer for the Hardware Development team - Responsible for creating and executing the system and rack validation plans for IS hardware platforms and components - Engages with ODMs and vendors to successfully validate all aspects of the IS hardware platforms - Reviews and audits ODM validation reports to ensure adherence to specifications - Performs system and rack level validation to identify any issues or weaknesses in design - Works closely with electrical, firmware, and hardware validation engineers to debug, root cause and resolve issues
Education & Experience
BS Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.