Server Hardware Electrical Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Do you love the challenge of solving complex problems that can have a direct impact on the success of the company? Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, phenomenal ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! We are seeking an energetic and self-driven senior hardware electrical engineer who will play a meaningful role in the definition, design, test, debug and productization of Apple’s next generation server and storage platforms. As a member of our hardware team, you will have the outstanding and exciting opportunity to be on the cutting edge of our next generation platforms. Your experience will directly impact the quality, schedule and robustness of our upcoming server and storage platforms. These platforms are the bedrock of the internet services that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every day.
- 10+ years of electrical server hardware design
- Advanced experience in PCA design process from schematic capture, through PCB layout to manufacturing
- We want you to have experience in owning the design, validation and manufacturing of Intel Server motherboards, high-speed backplanes, power distribution boards and other system boards
- Advanced skill in high speed signal design and optimization across multiple boards, to include HD board to board connectors and board to high speed cable topologies
- Experience working in a joint development model with outsourced ODM/OEMs
- Experience with CPU, DDR Voltage Regulator topologies and designs
- Experience with server hardware bring up, debug and troubleshooting, including using high speed Logic Analyzers, Oscilloscopes
- Experience working closely with other engineering disciplines to include BIOS and BMC firmware engineers, mechanical engineers, validation engineers, etc.
- Experience with hyper-scale/scale-out server and storage server design and associated cost savings, feature optimizations
- Experience crafting high drive count storage sub-systems, with multiple expanders and HBAs is a must
- Experience working with Manufacturing teams to specify and bring up PCAs in the factory, including DFT/DFM for SMT (ICT, 5DX, AOI, etc) FBT
- Working knowledge of buses within server and storage platforms: DDR, PCIe, UPI, SAS, I2C, UART, etc.
This role is within Apple's Internet Services & Operations organization and you will be responsible for owning the electrical board(s) and interconnects within the future server and storage hardware platforms. We are looking for a hardworking electrical Engineer who is interested and passionate about designing and building the future platforms and components which is quickly becoming the future of how we approach servers within our datacenters. Within this role you need to be comfortable working in a “start up” environment where you will make impactful contribution to all aspects of the system. We are seeking for self-motivated engineers with solid experience who can join us in not just building great hardware but build a team and set of capabilities that will deliver the best infrastructure possible.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering Masters Degree in Engineering Discipline or MBA preferred
- - Experience with the design of server power supplies, voltage regulators and other power subsystems (12V/48V/VRD) is preferred
- - Experience with Rack Level distributed designs, including in rack DC power distribution
- - Experience writing and reviewing Verilog CPLD code a plus
- - Familiarity with Linux and writing/running basic Linux scripts
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.