Photonics Engineer - Camera Technology
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in developing excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? The Camera Hardware Engineering group is responsible for the design, development, and innovation of camera hardware for all related Apple products. Our target is to deliver superior camera hardware to enable best-in-class camera user experience. We are looking for a photonics engineer to provide fire-power in the lab.
- Experience bringing up complex optical systems, including fiber optic, micro-optic and/or interferometry.
- Experience with specification and design of active optical components, such as laser, LED and photo-detectors.
- Value placed upon the design of circuit board implementing electro-optic functions, such as laser, modulation drive or photo-receiver.
- Hands-on experience implementing and testing optical devices and systems
- Solid grasp of optical physics fundamentals, including optical simulation software
- Experience supporting integrated photonics is a plus.
- Experience with active ranging (lidar) or biomedical optics, such as OCT or confocal microscopy, is a plus.
This team provides cross-functional support across a number of exciting development programs at Apple. The group specializes in rapid response analysis and prototyping activities to jump-start new concept development for optical hardware. Joining a team of specialists, the right candidate will collaborate with cross-functional and system leads across the company and impact real change. A successful candidate should be: Capable of realizing complex optical systems at PoC-level on short turn around. Motivated by results and capable of acting on their own directions. Lead responsibility for design, test, and validation activities in on-site lab facilities and in collaboration with vendors. Identify causal relationships between observed device or sub-system performance and design parameters. Interpret and reconcile empirical data with first-principles analytical and/or numerical simulations.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD in physics, electrical engineering, or related field. 5+ years relevant experience.