Imaging and Sensing Incubation - Systems Camera Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imaging and Sensing Incubation has a growing team that develops ideas and design solutions for user experience and new technologies for Apple products, including the iPhone, iPad, Apple watch, MacBooks, and more. Our team plays a key role in creating ideas and representative hardware for early systems that integrate new technology for demo, experience development, data collection and feature development. New challenges arise every day that require the sharp analytical skills of hardworking and inquisitive individuals. We have a collaborative, inclusive, and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. You will contribute your own unique talents by working with engineers, designers, and scientists to realize prototype concepts that synthesize electrical, mechanical and software components. Come, join us in crafting best-in-class solutions.
- In-depth understanding of interdependence of all elements in a camera, from the first lens element through image sensor output, extending to basic understanding of ISP/image pipeline.
- Demonstrates deep understanding of system-level impact of design choices and their relevance to the product-level features or experience.
- Familiarity with vocabulary of lens design, metrology, and use.
- Familiarity with 3D imaging methodologies and technologies.
- Familiarity with real time applications across synchronous, distributed systems and sensors.
- Familiarity with traditional and machine learning based algorithms for computer vision systems strongly preferred.
- Understanding of Computer Vision, and/or Machine Learning & Deep Learning preferred.
- Experience with digital camera systems characterization, including radiometry, photometry, light measurement as well as optical modeling & simulation tools (e.g, Zemax, CodeV).
- Experience taking designs through manufacturing and product cycle, and taking designs from concept to production
Apple's Incubation Systems team is seeking a skilled hands-on Camera Architect with strong capabilities in Camera Module and System design to cultivate new concepts and to create high performance custom sensing systems that are essential to delivering future products and new features to Apple’s Customers. This high-impact role offers a unique opportunity to bring people and ideas together, while collaborating with world-class experts in multiple fields: supporting Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Photography applications that break new ground in Technology and User Experience. This is an integral role for Apple, requiring an experienced, dedicated engineer with great initiative, vision, and a proven track record of fostering new ideas and developing complex imaging systems. You will work with us from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California Other responsibilities include: - Collaborate Incubation team members to propose and refine new concepts for exploration, define and implement custom imaging systems to prove concepts or provide experience demonstrations - Work jointly with Computer Vision Algorithm teams, as well as system & module teams, to interpret incoming requests and define requirements for new custom imaging systems - Propose and negotiate architecture for imaging systems that incorporates all elements such as intake lens, pickup device, interfaces, image signal processing, compression, data storage & transfer - Collaborate with multi-functional teams (including electrical, mechanical, optical, firmware, and other software teams) to design prototype hardware - Document designs, prepare presentations, and present the designs for multi-functional partners and leadership - Support multi-functional teams as-needed to build, bring-up, debug, and validate designs (including occasional consulting/support on small- to medium-scale manufacturing, test, and calibration efforts) - Present proposals, status, and decisions to leadership - Work independently and lead deliverables to align with dynamic project goals
Education & Experience
MS with 5+ years or BS with 7+ years industry experience in camera system design with strong foundations in Electro and Electro-Optics subjects
- - Programming (C/C++) & scripting skills (Perl/Python) preferred (ideally with understanding of low-level software (firmware & drivers in C or C++).
- - Basic working knowledge of electronics and signal integrity.
- - Experience ranging from firmware for embedded systems through system-level applications.
- - Ability to perform simple opto-mechanical assembly for quick prototypes; basic abilities in machining (drill, mill, lathe).