Brittle Materials Coatings (SME) Subject Matter Expert
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- 5+ years of experience developing coating for cosmetic surfaces
- Advanced materials/process development experience
- Experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment
- Ability to travel periodically domestic and overseas
- Understanding of cosmetic and mechanical properties of coating materials as they relate to manufacturing requirements
- Understanding of statistical analysis methods and DOE principles along with strong problem solving toolkit- FMEA, Root cause analysis, DMAIC, Fish bone diagrams, 5Whys
- Experience driving corrective actions
- Knowledge of quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations
- Conduct yield gap studies and develop/implement plans to close.
- Project management experience and ability to program-manage across multiple projects, vendors and resources.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment with other teams including: Industrial Design, Product Design, quality and commercial teams.
The following activities fall within the scope of responsibilities: You'll assess specific coating/printing requirements and relate design goals to process, equipment, and material requirements that will be used to evaluate a set of options to solve difficult manufacturing problems. Involved with researching manufacturing processes and evaluating them for their potential to achieve technical goals. Develop expert level understanding of key process drivers in order to determine how to best demonstrate process capabilities. Apply that knowledge as the technical resource for other process teams to support implementation at supplier locations. Plan and execute development trials to test feasibility, optimize process inputs, and validate capabilities of process options. Analyze results and provide recommendations based on sound engineering discernment as well as data. Present analysis to key decision makers which will be used to make significant commercial and design commitments. Combination of deep and working knowledge of following two skill sets: THIN FILM COATING: •Experience designing thin-film stacks tailored to specific functions •Experience or skill in one of optical simulation software: macleod, TFCALC etc. •Strong knowledge of sputtering and evaporative coating technologies •Strong abilities and background in materials and surface characterization (understanding of analytical tools such as SEM / TEM / EDX / FTIR / XPS etc. desirable). •Experience working with thin film tool manufacturers. PRINTING/WET FILM COATING: •Application processes including air atomized spray, ultrasonic spray, ink jet, screen/pad printing •Analytical characterization techniques for wet coatings and dry films (e.g. GCMS, HPLC, SEM, OMM, CMM) and methods color/gloss, orange peel, flop, hardness, cross link density, dry film thickness •Fundamental properties of polymers (Mw, Tg, modulus) and how they relate to film properties of paints, inks, or other cosmetic/functional coatings •Various coating chemistries including 2k and UV cure acrylics, epoxies, polyurethanes, and polyesters
Education & Experience
BS/MS or PhD in engineering (Chemical, Materials science, Industrial, Mechanical or equivalent
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.