Plastics & Metal Coatings (SME) - Subject Matter Expert
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- Experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment
- Understanding of cosmetic and mechanical properties of coating materials as they relate to manufacturing requirements
- Understanding of statistical analysis methods and DOE principles along with strong problem solving toolkit- FMEA, Root cause analysis, DMAIC, Fish bone diagrams, 5Whys
- Experience driving corrective actions / failure analysis efforts
- Knowledge of quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations
- Conduct yield gap studies and develop/implement plans to close.
- Project management experience and ability to program-manage across multiple projects, vendors and resources.
- Working experience in a wide collaborative environment with other teams including: Industrial Design, Product Design, quality and commercial teams.
- History developing coating for cosmetic surfaces
- Advanced materials/process development experience
- Combination of deep and working knowledge coatings development and applications:
- Application processes including air atomized spray, ultrasonic spray, ink jet, screen/pad printing
- Analytical characterization techniques for wet coatings and dry films (e.g. GCMS, HPLC, SEM, OMM, CMM) and methods color/gloss, orange peel, flop, hardness, cross link density, dry film thickness
- Fundamental properties of polymers (Mw, Tg, modulus) and how they relate to film properties of paints, inks, or other cosmetic/functional coatings
- Various coating chemistries including 2k and UV cure acrylics, epoxies, polyurethanes, and polyesters
- Ability to travel periodically domestic and overseas
The following activities fall within the scope of responsibilities: You'll assess specific coating/printing requirements and relate design goals to process, equipment, and material requirements that will be used to evaluate a set of options to solve difficult manufacturing problems. Involved with researching manufacturing processes and evaluating them for their potential to achieve technical goals. Develop expert level understanding of key process drivers in order to determine how to best to maximize process capabilities. Apply that knowledge as the technical resource for other process teams to support implementation at supplier locations. Plan and execute development trials to test feasibility, optimize process inputs, and validate capabilities of process options. Analyze results and provide recommendations based on sound engineering discernment as well as data. Present analysis to key decision makers which will be used to make significant commercial and design commitments.
Education & Experience
BS/MS or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or Materials Science
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.