Safety Modeling Engineer - SPG
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
How do you verify an AI? Join a team of talented engineers who are defining verification and validation for safe autonomous technology. The Special Projects Group at Apple is seeking an accomplished systems engineer to serve as a Safety Modeling Engineer in our Santa Clara, CA office. In this role, you will help inform the design of models, methods, and tools to assess the safety of the system. You will need to think broadly, connecting ideas across multiple technical groups and research domains: robotics, simulation, mechanical engineering, and data analysis. You will be expected to view problems from multiple perspectives and at different levels of abstraction, and to tackle them from multiple directions. We expect successful candidates to demonstrate an ability to solve such problems efficiently, and to communicate about them effectively with a variety of audiences. Does working on autonomous technology excite you? Innovation is in your hands! We are ready to help you help us grow.
- Experience with safety and severity analysis of complex software systems, preferably in a safety-critical application.
- A history of driving projects through the entire development lifecycle.
- Demonstrated engineering judgement and scientific rigor in building models, designing experiments, and validation is a strong plus.
- Python and C++ skills and software engineering experience is a strong plus.
As an Safety Modeling Engineer, you will help design models, algorithms, and analyses that ensure that autonomy meets our high standards for safety. - You will survey the literature on safety models and be up-to-date on NHTSA, SAE, and other relevant standards - You will define and maintain the models used for safety and severity assessments, and be responsible for their traceability. - You will implement and deploy the severity models, and be responsible for validating their results. - You will analyze the gaps found during validation, investigate techniques to address them, and drive the work required to close them.
Education & Experience
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Aerospace, Robotics, or a related field. - Minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.