Storage Hardware Engineering Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Do you love the challenge of solving sophisticated problems that can have a direct impact on the success of the company? Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, phenomenal ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! We are seeking for an upbeat, self-driven and experienced Senior Storage engineer to lead and manage the IS Storage Engineering Group. In this role you will play a pivotal role in leading the Storage team to evaluate, select, qualify, and deploy Storage Ingredients such as NVMe devices, Hard Drives, and HBAs adapters into Apple’s Server Platforms. As a key member of our Storage team, you will have the outstanding and exciting opportunity to lead the Storage Engineering team to assess new storage technologies that fit within Apple’s future applications and datacenter environments. These platforms are the bedrock of the infrastructure services that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every day.
- We are looking for 10+ years of storage hardware engineering component experience and architecture.
- We would like to see 5+ years experience as a people manager of storage hardware engineers across multiple geographical sites
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading all aspects of storage ingredient qualification - high speed interconnects, mechanical, thermal, vibration, power delivery, complex debug activities, and Firmware validation efforts.
- We want you to have advanced experience in storage hardware architectures, and ability to prioritize design reviews (both internally & with external storage vendors)
- Experience with qualifying and integrating storage designs into Server platforms. This includes but is not limited to understanding the partitioning between storage ingredients and server board interfaces.
- Sophisticated skill in high speed signal design and characterization of interfaces between the server board and storage ingredients across system interconnects
- Experience delivering storage products using an overseas design partner from design implementation through production
- Experience with hyper-scale/scale-out server and storage server designs and associated cost savings, feature optimizations, and overall architecture.
- Experience with High-count LFF Hard drives (>75) storage sub-systems for large scale rack deployments
- Experience leading designs with sophisticated storage topologies: HBAs, SAS expanders, PCIe Switches and Retimers.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams in the debug and root cause of complex technical issues at all levels of the storage stack and storage to server interconnects and boundaries including power, reset, clock, and I2C interfaces that connect to the storage subsystem.
- Experience with frameworks used for Datacenter fleet health monitoring including interpretation of SMART reporting counters for NVMe Flash devices and Hard Drive devices.
This meaningful and exciting role combines three critical aspects our team. First, this position will directly manage a team of storage HW engineers to select, qualify, validate and productize storage ingredients on our roadmap. Second, this opportunity will be the primary owner responsible for the delivery of all storage devices and peripherals for future server systems. Third, this role will directly enable and orchestrate the effort to maintain and expand Apple’s Health Monitoring framework used to track Storage component health in Apple’s Datacenter. Teamwork, Leadership, and communication are absolutely foundational requirements to ensuring success in this opportunity
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering Masters Degree in Engineering Discipline or MBA preferred
- - Familiarity and experience with Open Hardware designs such as Open Compute and Open 19”
- - Familiar with industry Hyperscale technology and Datacenter trends
- - Knowledge of x86 Server Platform Architectures.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.