Senior Vibration and Acoustics Engineer, Product Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
You will be working in a Product Development environment in a truly cross functional team delivering world-leading structure dynamics / acoustics performance for Apple products.
- 10+ years experience performing vibro-acoustic numerical analyses or developing analytical methods in support of product design. Experience should include supporting product development all the way to production with vibration/acoustics testing, subjective assessments, trade-off discussions, production ramp audits, development of effective design / process countermeasures to support target product performance at production volumes
- Demonstrated track record of setting vibration and acoustics performance targets
- Deep understanding of numerical methods for modeling of structural dynamics / vibro-acoustic problems such as Finite Elements, Statistical Energy Analysis, and Transfer Path Analysis
- Demonstrated track record of using numerical analyses to provide design direction for products where acoustics and vibration are critical factors for customer satisfaction.
- Completely comfortable with summarizing detailed acoustics/vibration concepts to a product design community, particularly related to the following areas:
- Forced and free vibration, modal superposition
- Fluid-structure interaction / sound radiation from and through structures
- Modeling of sound absorbing materials
- Validation of Finite Element models against vibration / acoustics test data
- Experience with instrumentation and vibration/acoustics testing
- Experience with model reduction techniques such as Craig-Bampton method
- Experience with Matlab and/or Python scripting
- Must have outstanding verbal and visual communication skills
- Must have ability to deal with an incredibly fast paced environment
- Must have a passion for creating innovative, high quality products
- Must be capable of establishing best practices and contributing to the creation of an outstanding team
As a member of the Apple Product Design team, you will be responsible for setting acoustic and vibration targets and providing design direction to Product Design engineers so that the final product meets desired performance. You will use tools and processes ranging from benchmarking to finite element analysis to that end. You will be fully integrated with the Product Design engineers from the earliest stages, analyzing and informing the design of cutting-edge products. You will also work with teams within Apple and with outside vendors to develop and perform tests to validate your analysis.
Education & Experience
Minimum BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent degree.