Product Design Engineer - Design Validation
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
This is a unique opportunity to influence designs across all of Apple’s products. You will work closely with cross-functional teams across the company to evaluate product concepts and influence design decisions early in the development cycle. The successful candidate is a detail orientated problem solver. You must be able to provide actionable recommendations to the design teams via persuasive presentations supported by compelling data visualizations. Experience in mechatronics design and empirical data collection with a solid foundation of mechanical engineering first principles is critical.
- Experience in applying engineering first principles to evaluate the performance of designs.
- Intermediate/advanced programming experience in Matlab, Python, R or similar for analysis of complex data sets, creation of data visualizations, and automation of repetitive tasks.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of sensor technologies, data acquisition systems, and fundamental analog/digital signal processing techniques to capture and synchronize high quality data from multiple sources.
- Experience using CAD and creating prototypes to enable the designing and building of test fixtures and measurement systems.
- Excellent communication skills with an enthusiastic, confident, respectful, and open-minded approach to collaborative work including presenting, debating and brainstorming.
- Advanced understanding of how to apply statistics to ensure the proper interpretation of your data.
Design, build, and use test/measurement systems. Apply a mix of measurement science and engineering analysis to gain an understanding of the static/dynamic inputs and system responses that drive design performance and ultimately impact the customer experience. Develop manual and automated test methods and metrics for characterizing and comparing design alternatives. Establish trust based relationships with product design teams throughout Apple and apply your expertise to help them quickly identify the best design.
Education & Experience
MS or BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, or similar technical discipline + 3 years experience in relevant fields.