Noise & Vibration Simulation Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences! Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience – Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Our Noise & Vibration team contributes to hardware design, validation, and troubleshooting to minimize distracting audible noises and optimize their sound quality. We are a mixed team of acoustics and vibration experts, accomplished listeners, and creative problem solvers. We work daily with multi-functional teams to find innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges. We are looking for an N&V Simulation Engineer to join a group of dedicated and passionate engineers.
- You will excel in the role of N&V Simulation Engineer if you have a strong background in structural dynamics and/or acoustics, with 5+ years of experience in the noise/vibration field
- Extensive experience with simulation software packages, such as ANSYS, ABAQUS, Virtual-Lab, COMSOL, Maxwell…
- Experience in coupled structural/electro-magnetics/acoustics simulation
- Experience in dealing with non-linear systems, including material and geometry non-linearity
- Experience in product noise & vibration root cause identification
- Some experience in statistical energy analysis method
- Some experience in developing tools enhancing post-processing of simulation or experimental results
- A lover of learning new tools and software packages when needed
- A creative problem-solver who thrives in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment
- While not required, it is especially helpful if you have expertise in electro-magnetics, either experimental or simulation
An N&V Simulation Engineer on the Noise & Vibration team will analyze dynamic and acoustic behaviors from components to products, perform or work with test engineers on experimental/simulation correlation study and design solutions for related products to meet noise and vibration specifications. As part of our team, you will participate in root-cause identification for any issue arisen during product development and use your learnings to provide improvement suggestions from product architecture through product development phases. A large part of this role involves educating multi-functional teams in your own area of expertise, to implement known standard methodologies and suggest DOEs for validation – our team needs to work closely with multi-functional teams across Apple in problem-solving.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in acoustics, vibration, noise control, that’s fine too.