Senior Research Leader, Ad Platforms
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Ad Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in App Store. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. We are looking for a senior research leader who can thrive in an Agile environment. You will drive strategic outcomes through substantial innovation programs across multiple fields by leading the development and application of advanced techniques and algorithms to improve our ad network. You have, or will develop a deep understanding of the ad network behavior, and will work with product management and business leadership to develop and prioritize an innovation roadmap across multiple technical domains. You will lead the function that conceives of, develops, and delivers state of the art capabilities that differentiate our products and are core to our business.
- Proven success leading a product-focussed R&D function focussed on Machine Learning applications, in Advertising or similar domains
- Established contributor and/or reviewer of research for top conferences and publications, ideally attracting invited talks and submissions to such
- Experience defining clear, testable research hypotheses, including intended impact on the business
- Extraordinary understanding of design of experiments, online experimentation approaches, preferably at scale
- Demonstrated success mentoring and advising accomplished researchers on quantitative techniques, problem solving approaches
- Track record applying state of the art research in a commercial setting
- Ability to formulate and advocate for R&D objectives and results to cross-functional team members including executive business leadership and product management
- Experience creating Machine Learning products for global companies at scale
- Expertise with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques applicable in the advertising domain
You will drive step-change improvements in our outcomes, and formulate our approaches to greenfield product opportunities. You and your colleagues will work end-to-end to bring the product capabilities that unlock those opportunities, from ideation and definition of research hypotheses, to leading execution working with other researchers and engineers. IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL: - Lead the innovation agenda for a rapidly growing, unique advertising business - Leverage diversity to fuel that innovation - Work on unusually complex technical problems, providing solutions that are highly innovative and ingenious, impacting Apple and/or industry - Review state-of-the-art research relevant to problems the Ad Platforms Algorithms team is working on, and determine approaches to apply that research to our work - Identify opportunities to improve the capabilities we deliver in terms of revenue and profitability, performance, explainability, stability, robustness, etc. - Work with team leadership to set research and development roadmap to deliver benefit to Ad Platforms, designing and suggesting improvements across multiple domains - Build a team of top researchers who work with the larger engineering team day-to-day to drive our product innovation - Participate and lead Apple internal Data Science & Machine learning interest groups, meet ups, and conferences - Communicate at all levels of the company, presenting hypotheses, proposals, and experimental results, and making valuable contributions to the discussion of such contributions from colleagues in internal, Apple wide, and external professional settings - Lead the team to take well-considered risks in our pursuit of solutions to difficult technical problems - Navigate across Apple, pulling in peers where needed and providing valuable expertise across the company In short, you will have the opportunity to lead our work in a fast growing business that positively impacts publishers, developers, and Apple users at global scale.
Education & Experience
PhD in AI/ML/Mathematics/CS or related field