Laser / Equipment Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
As part of the Battery Engineering group, we are looking for a Materials Engineer who will be responsible for supporting new material technology development, with deep materials and chemistry experience in the production of rechargeable batteries. This role also involves working closely with internal multi-functional teams, external vendors and technology partners on application development from material development to production introduction and quality control.
- The ideal candidate is a self-starter, with solid experience in laser applications, such as laser welding, ablation, and machining, with a focus on process development on thin layer materials.
- 5+ years of direct experience in laser equipment development including specifying laser type, scanners, optics, vision and stages, including familiarity with pulsed pico and femtosecond laser based applications.
- Working knowledge of applying quality tools including statistical analysis of performance results, determination of process capabilities, execution of design of experiments and development of SOPs and related work instructions.
- Experience working with external vendors and contractors to specify, develop process equipment, establish and optimize process procedures and improve material utilization.
- Hands on product development from initial prototype to pre-MP level, as well as, technical transfer to manufacture partner.
- Strong aptitude towards process development with emphasis on Laser equipment development and design validation.
- Well versed in statistics and applicable statistical software tools
- Ability to clearly justify technical decisions based on data and results
- Effective time management skills and strong process oriented approach to areas of focus
- Ability to work with other cross-functional teams and disciplines to arrive at a suitable engineering solution in fast pace environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to clearly and accurately explain technical issues
- Ability to supervise and coach process technicians
•Define equipment specifications for tool selection, participate in vendor selection, provide technical guidance during tool development and factory acceptance prior to shipment. •Oversee equipment performance including: installation, commissioning, set-up / calibration of vision system, optics alignment and laser scanner calibration •Provide technical support of manual and semi-automated equipment, laser application development and maintaining proper documentation of work instructions. •Perform process engineering studies / process verification, identify CTQ’s, understand & reduce variation and DOEs. Evaluate process data to determine failure modes, implement corrective actions and identify opportunities for improvement. •Contribute to the design and operating specification of battery assembly line equipment to enable capability of supporting advanced designs, materials and process development initiatives. This includes optimization, trouble shooting and corrective action implementation. •Maintain regular interaction with engineering, supply chain, safety, finance, and production groups. Prepare project updates and goals, travel to suppliers, manufacturing sites, conferences as needed and qualification efforts for prototype designs from concept to production readiness. •Research literature and industry for advancements in technology related to equipment design, process control and material utilization.
Education & Experience
MS or Ph.D in Mechanical, Chemical or Industrial Engineering
- Some travel to vendors, suppliers and pilot / production line facilities expected