Comprehensive Carbon Footprinting Engineer - Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there’s no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Apple is seeking extraordinary carbon accounting talent to supervise and advise the execution of Apple’s roadmap to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030. The ideal candidate is an experienced professional with detailed knowledge of greenhouse gas protocols, life cycle assessment, and the evolving state of practice for carbon accounting. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- At least 10 years of experience in greenhouse gas analysis, environmental data analysis and reporting, life cycle assessment, project management, and/or third party verification
- Deep knowledge of various quantification and reporting schemes across emissions scopes including scopes 1, 2, and 3, and carbon removals
- Familiarity with emerging challenges and opportunities for innovation in corporate carbon accounting.
- Experience working with different data sources for carbon data, and an understanding of how disparate data sources can be merged. Familiarity with data sources including process-based models, facility-reported data, EIO models, and others.
- Ability and desire to empower environmental program leads with analysis that drives impact
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to improve structure and visibility
- Ability to guide decision making around the methodologies and boundaries used to quantify carbon emissions for various strategic objectives
- Ability to quantify and characterize uncertainty, and develop tools for handling missing data and for quality control
- Ability to plan, communicate, and execute cross-functional data collection and analysis projects
- Curiosity, tenacity, and tact in identifying and resolving inconsistent approaches across teams
- Strong organization and documentation skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, capable of framing complex information for a range of audiences
- Strong team and customer service mentality
- Willingness to adapt to constantly evolving environment and new challenges
The primary function of this role will be to deliver comprehensive carbon footprint analysis for Apple’s roadmap to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030. That includes annual calculation and third party verification of Apple’s comprehensive carbon footprint (CCF), periodic re-evaluation of CCF methodology and boundaries, and review of various internal data sources/systems for completeness and consistency. Role will also be responsible for supporting the program managers of key carbon initiatives with tracking, carbon project performance assessment, forecasting, and scenario planning. They will work very closely with and be responsible for delivering coordinated results across data delivery leads from multiple teams. They must be comfortable handling uncertainty while pursuing greater accuracy and consistency across carbon datasets and models. The individual in this role will be encouraged to deliver insights that advise execution and drive impact.
Education & Experience
Graduate degree preferred
- - Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills
- - Knowledge of industry standard methodologies, third-party providers, carbon accounting partner landscape, and technologies
- - Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- - Creativity and willingness to test and retest assumptions