Coatings & Inks Engineer - Intern
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple’s Operations team ensures that Apple’s cutting-edge designs become industry-leading products, delivered on time and on spec. This high profile, highly respected organization is positioned at the junction of Apple’s product/industrial design teams, the industries that supply core component technologies, and our manufacturing partners who help ensure that products such as iPad, iPhone and Mac can be restocked just as fast as they fly off the shelves. We’re looking for high-energy people to support the design, manufacturing, fulfillment and support of all things Apple. We are actively seeking a hardworking intern who can work full-time for a minimum of 6 months
- Experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of cosmetic and mechanical properties of coating materials as they relate to manufacturing requirements
- Understanding of DOE principles
- Experience developing quality plans, validating test methods and gauges, and driving corrective actions / failure analysis efforts.
- Knowledge of quality and reliability concepts, supplier management, and general manufacturing operations.
- Project management experience and a deep understanding of problem solving tools including design of experiments, root cause analysis and statistical process control principles preferred.
- Fundamental properties of polymers (Mw, Tg, modulus) and how they relate to film properties of paints, inks, or other cosmetic/functional coatings
- Various coating chemistries including 2k and UV cure acrylics, epoxies, polyurethanes, and polyesters
- Application processes including air atomized spray, ultrasonic spray, ink jet, screen/pad printing
- High volume manufacture of coated parts including design of jigs, fixtures, or automation of coating equipment
- Analytical characterization techniques for wet coatings and dry films (e.g. GCMS, HPLC, SEM, OMM, CMM) and methods color/gloss, orange peel, flop, hardness, cross link density, dry film thickness
- Ability to work a minimum of 6 months
In this highly visible role, you will investigate and develop solutions to overcome difficult technical challenges that require non-standard manufacturing approaches. You will apply your engineering skills to develop an in-depth understanding of the process drivers that will drive successful implementation of significant improvements to coating processes for Apple product enclosures and components. The following activities fall within the scope of responsibilities: Assess specific coatings requirements and relate design goals to process, equipment, and material requirements that will be used to evaluate a set of options to tackle difficult manufacturing problems. Research manufacturing processes and evaluate them for their potential to achieve technical goals. Develop an expert level understanding of the key process drivers in order to determine how to best to leverage process capabilities. Apply that knowledge as the technical resource for other process teams to support implementation at supplier locations. Plan and execute development trials to test feasibility, optimize process inputs, and validate capabilities of process options. Analyze results and provide recommendations based on sound engineering judgment as well as data. Present analysis to key decision makers that will be used to make significant commercial and design commitments.
Education & Experience
Pursuing a BS/MS/PhD in Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Materials Science, or related field. Candidates must be enrolled to return to school after the internship to continue education or an internship needs to be required for graduation from your school. Candidates also qualify if accepted into a graduate program after graduation.