Lab Manager - Product Safety
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! Do you care about how products perform, what makes them delightful yet keeps them safe and user-friendly in the deepest sense? Do you ever consider what care and intention put into Apple’s product design allows us to uphold user trust and confidence? The engineering team in Apple’s cutting-edge Product Safety group is responsible for ensuring our products meet international safety standards and regulations, but also exceed those requirements to befit Apple’s expectations. We’re looking for a talented professional and leader who enjoys tackling tough challenges, taking initiatives, and enabling world-class testing and hardware engineering in a fast-paced and demanding product development climate. We’re looking for bright, hungry people who care about the user experience and upholding the highest standards of product integrity. As a Laboratory Manager within Product Safety, you will be focused on enabling testing and certification activities for new product introduction (NPI), as well as failure analyses and engineering investigations. These activities will be integral to developing and certifying products and module sub-systems for commercialization. Not only will you work closely with internal engineering teams, you will also engage external laboratories, agencies, and vendors to ensure our lab, facilities, and equipment maintain the highest levels of compliance and readiness to support Safety engineering. If this sound like a perfect fit, and a challenge built for you, then read on!
- Individual must be a strong coordinator and executor of projects and tasks associated with the management of lab spaces and their associated layouts and infrastructure. You are deeply familiar with test methods and the environments/spaces needed to perform them.
- Possesses a proven track record of managing facilities and spaces, to include their upkeep, maintenance, and compliance with accreditation standards. Trouble-shooting prowess is a must-have, not limited to: power failures, security considerations, networking, and structural-spatial needs.
- Wields deep expertise in managing lab equipment, tools, networks, systems, and associated software applications require for Safety testing and data collection. Owns all calibration, maintenance, or repair of these items. You can use these tools and equipment and collect data where needed.
- Possesses superlative multi-tasking capabilities and understand how to operate under, even thrive in, tight schedule situations, and are unafraid of dynamic situations. You are highly adaptive and flexible.
- Strong technical intuition and understanding of basic engineering concepts with ability to grasp complex design and process problems. Proficient in tackling these problems within a fast-paced, product development environment.
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally, harness the powers of teamwork, and relate to technical partners both within Safety and elsewhere. Strong hunger factor and courageous spirit with a proclivity towards action and creative problem-solving. Always calm under fire.
- Direct experience with, and working knowledge of, consumer electronics Safety standards, test methods, and associated equipment is a huge plus.
- Familiarity and comfort with Apple hardware, operating systems (MacOS, iOS, and diagnostic tools), and internal systems highly desirable.
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills, with strong attention to detail are a must.
- Ability to embark on limited domestic or international travel as business needs dictate.
- In this role you will be responsible for the operational and space readiness of Product Safety’s SCV area laboratories and their corresponding facilities. You must have a keen understanding of all dependencies associated with the labs, and how they impact any given critical path for testing, validation, and experiments. - You will develop and uphold organizational policies and protocols required to run a world-class laboratory that conforms to global standards. - You will manage and audit lab training requirements to ensure safe measures are in place and followed for all SCV labs. - You will manage vendors and suppliers to ensure all maintenance needs are met, and relevant health/safety requirements are continually met. Should issues arise, you will resolve them as needed. - You will work with engineers and project managers alike to ensure project objectives and schedules are met, and both material and readiness needs are fulfilled. - You will also be a instrumental part of the planning and execution process for all testing conducted in Safety’s labs.
Education & Experience
- B.S. or Technical degree with 4+ of industry experience - Equivalent experience in lieu of education will be considered (minimum 8-10 years)