CNC Manufacturing Design Engineer Intern (MDE)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. In this highly visible role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on Apple Products, and leave a footprint for years to come. We have an opportunity for an accomplished quality engineer to lead development, and ramp for a next generation Apple product from both dimensional and cosmetic perspective. The CNC Manufacturing Design Engineers (MDE) are responsible for the development and implementation of crucial CNC processes during our prototype development builds through high volume production.
- Demonstrated ability supporting new product launches from a manufacturing engineering or product development perspective
- Experience with fabricating parts or jigs, fixtures, tooling, injection molding, plastics, ceramics, machine shop (CNC, mills, lathes, drilling, tapping)
- Proven understanding of DOE, GD&T, SPC, and mechanical fabrication techniques
- CAD experience for part and fixture design
- CAM experience for programming 3 axis parts on mills or lathes up to 4 and 5 axis.
- Siemens NX10+ experience is preferred for CAD/CAM.
- Understanding of high feed milling, high speed machining, and high performance machining concepts in CNC.
- Ability to set up and troubleshoot CNC Processes and provide corrective actions.
- Experience with cutting tool design and constraints.
- Experience with DFM (Design for Manufacturing) feedback to industrial or product design teams to optimize a design for CNC.
In this highly visible role, you will have direct frequent communication and collaboration with Apple Industrial Design, Product Design, Manufacturing Design, and worldwide suppliers. You will utilize your manufacturing background in the following areas: PROCESS DEVELOPMENT: Create CNC programs and processes to facilitate new product and industrial design. Make samples for design decisions. Setup and run CNC validation exercises in our labs to demonstrate process feasibility and capability Plan, propose, and lead experiments to produce analyses used to drive design, development, and supply chain decisions Own progress of development activities at supplier locations to successfully enable new products NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTION: Acts as lead engineer to drive CNC process development and capability assessment activities, reviewing part design to ensure alignment with process capability Assign specific tasks and work with Apple suppliers to support process development and/or data gathering activities. Set clear goals for results and provide timely reviews of performance throughout the program Establish validation procedures to determine acceptance of processes into development builds as well as mass production SUPPLIER EXECUTION: Review supplier tool design, process flow, equipment selection, machining parameters DFM, and DOE proposals Identify shortfalls and corrective actions to ensure design compliance. Work with vendors engineering teams to map out process development exercises, secure resources, and commit to schedules in line with program goals. Assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk.
Education & Experience
Pursuing BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Industrial Engineering. You are additionally required to return to school after the internship to continue education or an internship needs to be required for graduation from your school. You also qualify if accepted into a graduate program after graduation.