Optical Sensing: Laser Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Laser Sensing Hardware group designs sensors and illuminators for Apple products, including components of the revolutionary FaceID system. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers are responsible for architecture, design, and manufacturing development of new sensing solutions. The team is looking for someone who knows semiconductor lasers and is a self-driven go-getter. Experience with photodiodes is a plus. You will specify, develop, and validate new semiconductor components for new sensors.
- Strong devices-physics background, with a solid understanding of semiconductor physics, optical processes in semiconductors, and driver-level analog EE.
- Hands-on experience with lab characterization, including laser drivers, optical metrology (spectrometers, oscilloscopes, and free space optics), and time-resolved measurements.
- Experience in a typical programming language (matlab, python, etc) for modeling, simulation, and computation. Experience with one or more commercial device-modeling packages is a preferred (Crosslight, Photon Design, Comsol, Lumerical, or similar)
- Familiarity with compound semiconductor-device processing (III-V, II-VI, etc) and failure analysis tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; solid teamwork and leadership skills.
In this role, you will lead key areas of introducing a new device: Specify, survey, and select laser devices for use in sensing systems. Model the device structure to predict performance or substantiate hypotheses for unexpected observations. Engage vendors for prototyping and engineering development; drive to successful delivery of the component. Business travel to support product development (typical ~10%) In all of this work, you need to be an effective communicator — both to collaborate with cross-functional teams and present to executive management on key developments / issues.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD in Physics, Electrical, Materials Science, or similar. 2+ years of industry experience in a development and manufacturing environment preferred.