Optical Illumination Engineer, Depth Sensing - Camera Hardware
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in developing excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? The Camera Hardware Engineering group is responsible for all research, design, development, test and qualification of camera hardware for Apple products. The team is looking for an Optical Engineer to work on illumination systems and optical technology development, with a focus on VCSEL-based illuminators used in depth sensing.
- You will have 5+ years experience in optical design applied to illumination systems such as general lighting, automotive lighting, display backlighting, sensing, cameras, or optical metrology.
- Proficiency with LightTools, FRED, SPEOS, or Zemax non-sequential.
- Experience in designing and testing illumination systems.
- Experience with development of macros or software to automate and post-process optical simulation results (Python, VB, C#, C++).
- Ability to interface with cross-functional teams to support integration of optics into module and assess feasibility of new optical concepts.
- Must be high energy, multi-tasker, resourceful problem solver, with ability to take initiative and explore new ideas.
Drive the optical design of various illumination systems, including VCSEL-based illuminators used in depth sensing. Develop new tools and optical models to accurately and efficiently simulate, analyze, and test optical performance. Characterize the optical behavior of materials and surfaces. Work with vendors to build prototypes and investigate hardware issues found during the development. Travel to support design/production/supplier teams as necessary.
Education & Experience
Graduate degree in Optics or Physics, or Bachelor degree with equivalent work experience.
- Experience in designing light guides.
- CAD drafting and design experience with NX is a plus.