Motion Sensing Inertial Sensors Engineer - Signal Path Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The inertial sensor team develops and integrates inertial sensors across a variety of programs including iPhone, iPad, Watch and AirPods. You will play a key role in engaging with external vendors and internal customers to specify, develop and characterize inertial sensing systems for autonomous technologies. You should be familiar with inertial sensor development such as design, performance metrics, inertial sensor usage, and system integration. Engineering excellence and thoroughness are expected and encouraged. Invention and patent creation are expected and supported. Pushing the envelope to design and ship innovative products with best-in-class technologies and user experiences is the main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience and proven track record in inertial sensing hardware development.
- Experience in ASIC architecture, design, characterization, and validation of inertial sensing systems.
- Proficient in the theory of operation, signal processing, fabrication, packaging and design trade-offs.
- Expertise in simulation, data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools (ANSYS Multiphysics or similar tools, Matlab, JMP).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and solid teamwork and leadership skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel are required.
You will be responsible for defining inertial sensor specifications and qualification requirements as well as reviewing and approving verification results. This work leverages your ability to identify, create, and document new sensing system metrics that deliver performance pertinent to user experience. Scope new sensing technologies and proof-of-concept investigations. Interact with suppliers and drive sensor designs to enable new and improved user experience. Diagnose engineering issues with scientific method driving to definitive root cause. Prepare and deliver presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies for sensor projects.
Education & Experience
PhD degree in engineering plus 5 years of relevant industry experience, or Bachelor/MS degree in engineering with a minimum of 10 years of relevant industry experience.