Optical Sensing Hardware Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Design, develop, and launch next-generation light-sensing technologies. Bring devices to life and enable them interact with users and the environment in ways never imagined before. The light sensing team integrates light sensors across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. The light sensing team is looking for someone who is a self-driven go-getter. Strong experience with optics, optical system design, and detectors is required. Join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet.
- Strong background in optical design (geometric, diffractive and radiometric) and tolerance analysis.
- Strong background in ray-tracing software Zemax or Code V, LightTools.
- Experience in optical testing and metrology.
- Experience in prototyping with optical lab equipment and data analysis; (microscopes, spectrometers, cameras/detectors, oscilloscopes, optical tables, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience supporting volume manufacturing of optical systems is a plus (test, validation, FA, etc)
Design optical components for new optical sensors. Product simulation/analysis using a variety of software tools to support engineering validation and characterization (e.g. Matlab, Zemax, LightTools, JMP, etc.) Failure mode analysis, root-cause diagnosis, and system-level problem solving. Analyze data to draw conclusions, enhance product design/manufacturability Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Process Engineering to deliver state-of-the-art sensing solutions. Travel to support design/production/supplier teams as necessary. Business travel to support product development (up to10%)
Education & Experience
PhD degree in Optics, Physics or equivalent, or Bachelor/MS degree in engineering plus minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience.