App Store - Manager, Big Data Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
When this team introduced the App Store, it launched a cultural and economic phenomenon that changed the way people live, work, and play. These engineers continue to innovate the platform, now home to over 1.5 million apps — each created using the team’s own software development kit and related services. All those apps mean the store takes billions of requests from more than 500 million visitors every week, across iOS, macOS, tvOS, iPadOS, and watchOS. To deliver such a rich experience at this scale, the engineers build high- performance systems backed up by persistent systemwide A/B testing. And to help people discover apps they love, the team uses machine learning techniques that include natural language processing to develop new algorithms for personalization, search, and recommender systems. In a world where apps have become essential in people’s daily lives, the App Store team has become essential to Apple’s business.
- 5+ years managing a team of engineers
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Scala or Java
- Proven understanding of distributed data processing platforms such as Spark
- Solid understanding of Big Data technologies
- Experience developing new algorithms and data structures to process large scale data efficiently
- Able to gather multi-functional requirements and translate them into practical engineering tasks
- Good debugging, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge in engineering machine learning, feature engineering systems is desired
- Ability to stay focused and prioritize a full workload while achieving extraordinary quality
Apple is seeking a hands-on data engineering manager with a passion for large amounts of data and analytics. You will be an experienced software engineer who has transitioned to leading individual engineers and delivering Internet-scale engineering solutions. This manager will develop a team of data engineers in the App Store Data Engineering Org within Apple Media Products, home to the App Store, Arcade, Apple Music, TV+, iTunes and More. This is a unique opportunity to form a new engineering team and make a significant impact to how Apple delivers analytics solutions for some of the most compelling big data in the world. You will have significant responsibility and influence in shaping the future of data engineering at Apple. This position involves hiring and leading a data engineering team to develop large scale data pipelines and analytical solutions using modern big data technologies. Successful candidates will have strong leadership, engineering skills, and communication, as well as a belief that data driven processes lead to great products.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or masters degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience. Apple is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Apple does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.