Instructional Designer, Coding
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
For 40 years, Apple has helped teachers unleash the creative potential in every student. And today, we do that in more ways than ever. Not only with powerful products, but also with tools, inspiration, and curricula to help create magical learning experiences. The Education Marketing team is looking for an Instructional Designer who, like us, is passionate about K12 education and helping teachers ignite creativity in the classroom. We believe coding isn’t extra-curricular — it’s part of the core curriculum. Seeing an idea unfold in real life is a powerful way to learn. We created the comprehensive Everyone Can Code curriculum with lessons on iPad and Mac, teacher guides, and apps to make it easy to teach coding in the classroom. Students can create programs to make robots walk and control flying drones. And they can develop iOS apps that can sit right alongside the pros on the App Store! Join us to bring a hands-on approach at showing students how coding concepts and engineering take shape in the physical world and on the devices they use every day.
- Strong knowledge of computer science education and programming.
- Knowledge of the Swift programming language and/or demonstrated ability to learn new programming languages.
- 3-5 years experience in designing and developing education materials, preferably focusing on coding/computer science/developer education and project based learning.
- 10 years of K12 teaching experience.
- Experience with K12 professional development and teacher training is preferred.
- Passion for writing simple, concise, elegant code and prose.
- Strong writing and communication skills as well as excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Strong time management skills and ability to manage aggressive timelines.
- Strategic problem solver who can be resourceful, creative, and committed to results.
- Strong attention to detail and extremely high standards of quality.
- Some experience developing iOS apps preferred.
- Experience authoring and scaling worldwide curriculum preferred.
In this role, you will be responsible for building scalable coding and computer science learning materials for a broad range of ages and skill levels for Apple’s teaching code programs. You have passion for creating simple and elegant learning experiences using technology to improve engagement and outcomes, as well as creating curricular resources that inspire, engage, and empower teachers and students alike. You have a strong background in developing technology-based instructional materials and you also bring expertise in needs analysis, developing lessons and courses, and in leading multiple projects. You will partner closely with Curriculum Developers and with other teams at Apple to ensure a consistent and global voice around Apple's teaching and learning story, so tight-knit collaboration and communication skills are essential. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: - Design and develop learning materials—including lesson and activity writing and sample code projects—covering coding/computer science concepts, the Swift programming language, and iOS app development using Apple frameworks. - Experience with or ability to align current and future curriculum offerings to CSTA Standards. - Define and build teacher support materials and assessments for CS and coding instruction, and assist in training teachers directly. - Apply high-quality instructional design theory and practices that result in highly effective learning experiences. - Collaborate with other subject matter specialists and curriculum developers to ensure that format and delivery support the learning needs of a wide audience. - Respond to feedback on the curriculum and assist in engaging the CS teacher community in the development of materials. - Manage workflows from curriculum development to production. - Maintain existing curriculum compatibility with the current versions of Xcode, Swift Playgrounds, macOS, iOS, and Swift. - Apply computer science teaching theory and practice. - Attend and present at events and conferences. - Help identify and manage resources and vendors needed for project completion. - Deliver multiple development projects from inception to completion.
Education & Experience
BA in Education or BS in Computer Science or equivalent. Advanced degree in education, instructional design, and/or computer science is preferred.