PHY Systems Engineer - Beam Management
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love crafting elegant solutions to highly complex challenges? Do you intrinsically see the importance in every detail? As part of our modem development team, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge wireless systems and algorithms that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across subject areas to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. As a PHY Systems & Algorithm Engineer on this team, you will be responsible for designing and simulating state of the art physical layer wireless communication systems. This position requires someone comfortable with all aspects of systems and algorithm development, that thrives in a dynamic multi-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of wireless communication systems (OFDM/MIMO, etc.)
- Experience in wireless design of 3GPP compliant modems (5G-NR/4G LTE)is helpful.
- Experience with millimeter wave technologies is a plus.
- Hands on experience with lab testing & characterization will be a plus.
- Deep understanding of communication theory & signal processing related algorithms design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairment estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, etc.)
- Experience with Matlab or Python and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience on bring up of real silicon in lab, be able to efficiently use lab equipment (such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc.).
Design and simulate state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication system algorithms for very high data rate applications. Partner closely with Antenna/Field teams on collection and processing of data to validate and tune algorithms. Work on silicon bring up to help validate sophisticated algorithms and design. Translate findings from field/lab to algorithm design and improvements. Validate algorithm improvements in a simulation environment.
Education & Experience
MS with 10 years experience or Ph.D. with 7 years experience.